- v wear out completely
- v use up (resources or materials)
- v deplete
- v use up the whole supply of
- v eliminate (a substance)
- s having a debilitating effect
an exhausting job in the hot sun
- s producing exhaustion
an exhausting march
- Their whirling, exhausting, body-punishing stunt scenes tested an audience's credulity; surely real people were incapable of these athletic graces.
- Sam Pollit is an exhausting monstrosity of a husband and father, not always cruel, but always self-regarding "Sam the Bold" is his name for himselfand self-deluding.
- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi is something else, an eccentric of complex, contradictory and exhausting character most of us hardly know.
News & Articles
- RUMBLINGS: No Medicaid bill, but plenty of anger
After an exhausting week in the state Senate, Republicans accomplished little except getting yelled at by a perturbed Gov. Rick Snyder for leaving on a two-month vacation without voting on Medicaid expansion.
June 23, 2013 - Crain's Detroit Business
- Office coach: Perhaps ‘basket case’ should be cut loose
Q. I recently hired an employee who appears to be a high-strung basket case. “Shannon” is experienced and intelligent, but working with her is almost unbearably exhausting.
June 23, 2013 - Omaha World-Herald
- Your Office Coach: 'Basket case' must be taught to restrain emotions
I recently hired an employee who appears to be a high-strung basket case. "Shannon" is experienced and intelligent, but working with her is almost unbearably exhausting. Every phone call lasts at least an hour, and most of our face-to-face meetings end in tears. Her lengthy emails are all marked "Urgent!"
June 22, 2013 - The Biloxi Sun Herald
- Novak Djokovic in International Herald Tribune
It's been a very exhausting tournament, mentally and physically, for me,Djokovic said on Saturday, declining to discuss the Roddick matter.
- Nicolas Sarkozy in The Associated Press
I am the first to think that sometimes discussions are long, that to insert a paragraph in a communique is exhausting,Sarkozy said at the end of three days of meetings. "We end these summits empty, tired, but it's our duty to participate."
- Danny Green in Sydney Morning Herald
These guys are pushing very hard to make this fight happen, and they are just about exhausting all their resources financially to make it happen,Green said. "I am about to go on a holiday with my family ...... I am going to pack that...