engaged : Definition, Usages, News and More
- v carry out or participate in an activity; be involved in
They engaged in a discussion
- v consume all of one's attention or time
- v engage or hire for work
- v ask to represent; of legal counsel
- v give to in marriage
- v get caught
make sure the gear is engaged
- v carry on (wars, battles, or campaigns)
- v hire for work or assistance
- v engage for service under a term of contract
- v keep engaged
engaged the gears
- s having ones attention or mind or energy engaged
deeply engaged in conversation
- s involved in military hostilities
the desperately engaged ships continued the fight
- s reserved in advance
- s (of facilities such as telephones or lavatories) unavailable for use by anyone else or indicating unavailability; (`engaged' is a British term for a busy telephone line)
receptionists' telephones are always engaged
- s (used of toothed parts or gears) interlocked and interacting
the gears are engaged
- s having services contracted for
the carpenter engaged (or employed) for the job is sick
- s built against or attached to a wall
- We ought to be engaged in politics, we ought to be good citizens, we ought to care about justice.
- Without the threat of such sanctions, key Administration policymakers believe, Iran will have little incentive to give anything up, whether or not they are engaged in talks.
- When he was not bringing wisdom out of the mouths of baby tumblebugs and suckling pigs, he was engaged in mild satires on religion (The Bishop's Wife, There Is Another Heaven).
- Barack Obama in RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty
I think the most important thing is for the United States to get engaged right away,Obama said.
- David Petraeus in Sydney Morning Herald
We are engaged in a battle of wills,Petraeus said. "We must demonstrate to the people of Afghanistan and the Taliban that ISAF and NATO forces are here to safeguard the Afghan people and we are in this to win. That is our objective."
- David Cameron in CNN (blog)
There is no evidence any British officer was directly engaged in torture in the aftermath of 9/11,Cameron said.