- v choose and follow; as of theories, ideas, policies, strategies or plans
- v take up and practice as one's own
- v take on titles, offices, duties, responsibilities
- v take on a certain form, attribute, or aspect
he adopted an air of superiority
- v take into one's family
They adopted two children from Nicaragua
- v put into dramatic form
- v take up the cause, ideology, practice, method, of someone and use it as one's own
They adopted the Jewish faith
- a acquired as your own by free choice
my adopted state
- A new study shows that adopted kids are more likely to require mental health help as teens than non-adopted ones.
- Citing her emotional problems, a Dutch diplomat couple gave their adopted Korean daughter back to Hong Kong's social welfare bureau, sparking outrage in Asia and Europe.
- Pham Quang Sang (left), the 3-year-old Vietnamese boy who was adopted by actress Angelina Jolie (right).
- Barack Obama in Baltimore Sun
Here are the facts: For two weeks I was on the phone every day with [Treasury Secretary Henry M. Paulson Jr.] and the congressional leaders making sure that the principles that have been ultimately adopted were incorporated in the bill,Obama...
- Hillary Rodham Clinton in National Post
We are planning to try to bring the world community together in applying pressure to Iran through sanctions adopted by the United Nations that will be particularly aimed at those enterprises controlled by the Revolutionary Guard,Ms. Clinton...
- Wen Jiabao in New York Times
President Obama and his new government have adopted a series of measures to deal with the financial crisis. We have expectations as to the effects of these measures,Mr. Wen said. "We have lent a huge amount of money to the US Of course we...