adrift : Definition, Usages, News and More
- s aimlessly drifting
- s afloat on the surface of a body of water
after the storm the boats were adrift
- r floating freely; not anchored
the boat wasset adrift
- r off course, wandering aimlessly
there was a search for beauty that had somehow gone adrift
- He debated three plans: 1) to make the guardsmen walk the plank; 2) to fire his own boat and set them adrift in it; 3) to scuttle the cutter with all hands aboard.
- The onset of World War II cuts a young Jewish boy off from his family and sets him adrift among the peasants of rural Poland.
- Reyes' death, as well as that of the FARC's top leader and founder, Manuel Marulanda, also in March, seemed to have left the guerrillas and their 44-year-old insurgency adrift and .
News & Articles
- Carnival Triumph returns to Texas cruising
A Carnival Cruise Lines ship that spent several days adrift in the Gulf of Mexico after an engine fire has been repaired and will resume cruises from Texas. Company officials say the nearly 900-foot Carnival ...
June 12, 2013 - Associated Press via Yahoo! News
- NSA leaker's girlfriend 'lost at sea'
The girlfriend of self-avowed National Security Agency leaker Edward Snowden wrote that she was "adrift in a sea of chaos" after he spilled government secrets and decamped to Hong Kong.
June 12, 2013 - CNN
- NSA whistle-blower’s girlfriend feels ‘adrift’
Lindsay Mills, the woman reported to be the girlfriend of purported National Security Agency whistle-blower Edward Snowden, says she feels adrift without her 29-year-old boyfriend, whom she says abandoned her in Hawaii and fled to Hong Kong. "My world has opened and closed all at once. Leaving me lost at sea without a compass," Mills, [...]
June 11, 2013 - The Lookout via Yahoo! News
- Jerome Corsi in Guardian Unlimited
The Republican Party has left the moral conservative base adrift,said Jerome Corsi, a conservative activist and co-author of "Unfit for Command," a book that attacked 2004 Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry's Vietnam service.
- Robert Allenby in ESPN
I'm happy to be three adrift,Allenby said. "Three or four shots is not much around this place."
- Andy Burnham in Hucknall Today
Culture Secretary Andy Burnham stated that no sport "will be cut adrift" despite the shortfall.