suppose : Definition, Usages, News and More
- v express a supposition
- v expect, believe, or suppose
- v to believe especially on uncertain or tentative grounds
Scientists supposed that large dinosaurs lived in swamps
- v take for granted or as a given; suppose beforehand
I presuppose that you have done your work
- v require as a necessary antecedent or precondition
This step presupposes two prior ones
- I suppose if you're single, meeting people by eating great food prepared in a bad kitchen probably beats volunteering for charities.
- Suppose we don't go further into debt in the name of fiscal stimulus.
- I suppose you could say that.
News & Articles
- TV Bits: ‘Girl Meets World’, ‘Hemlock Grove’, ‘Masters of Sex’, Darren Aronofsky, Dan Harmon, Channing Tatum
I suppose 32-year-old Ben Savage is technically old enough to have a 13-year-old daughter, but it still feels weird to see him playing the proud dad instead of the confused kid on Girl Meets World, doesn’t it? Also after the jump: Darren Aronofsky and HBO ditch Michael Chabon‘s Hobgoblin FX’s The Strain adds John Hurt; Liv [...]
June 20, 2013 - /Film
- The Trolley Problem With Science
Imagine a scientist who does an experiment, and doesn't like the results. Perhaps the scientist had hoped to see a certain pattern of findings and is disappointed that it's not there. Suppose that this scientist therefore decided to manipulate the data. She goes into the spreadsheet and adds new, made-up data points, until she obtains a statistically significant result she likes, and publishes ...
June 20, 2013 - Discover
- Ah, those door-to-door sales folks . . . and the perverse amusement I have had at their expense
I suppose it is our fault for not replacing the “No Soliciting” sign when we had our new front door installed. Then again, even when it was up, it didn’t deter a lot of folks; maybe they just thought it meant we didn’t want any prostitutes coming to visit. It will be interesting to see how well any sort of regulation Fayetteville’s city council can come up with can curb the problem . . . if at ...
June 19, 2013 - Arkansas Times
- Fernando Torres in The Guardian
I suppose that when the World Cup finishes I will speak to the people at Liverpool and they will explain to me the real situation of how things are at present, the future of the club,he said in an interview with the Spanish newspaper El Mundo...
- Vice President Dick Cheney in International Herald Tribune
Told by reporters about the Taliban claim of responsibility for the attack, Cheney said: "I think they clearly try to find ways to question the authority of the central government. Striking at Bagram with a suicide bomber, I suppose, is one way to...
- Charlie Rangel in The Associated Press
She says it's unseemly,Rangel says of his wife's advice. "I say, `Suppose it's not real. As long as they keep saying these things until I die, what difference does it make?'"