guess : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a message expressing an opinion based on incomplete evidence
- n an estimate based on little or no information
- v expect, believe, or suppose
I guess she is angry at me for standing her up
- v put forward, of a guess, in spite of possible refutation
I am guessing that the price of real estate will rise again
- v judge tentatively or form an estimate of (quantities or time)
- v guess correctly; solve by guessing
He guessed the right number of beans in the jar and won the prize
- Once, just before making a guess, the cocky little plastic ball said, "I'm thinking you win!" Then it quickly flashed, "Just kidding!" and took the game.
- I guess that occurred to me as I was starting that last chapter.
- I guess some people assume that I'm different when I'm not necessarily, because usually I'm the only white person in the class and I guess they think that I don't wanna talk to .
News & Articles
- Investors guess Fed's actions, push stocks higher
Investors guess Fed's actions, push stocks higher Associated Press Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Updated 5:02 pm, Monday, June 17, 2013 Investors will have to keep guessing about the Fed's future actions until Wednesday, when it will release a policy statement shortly after midday. Doug Lockwood ...
June 18, 2013 - Beaumont Enterprise
- Investors' guess helps stocks rise
Investors' guess helps stocks rise Associated Press Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Published 6:58 pm, Monday, June 17, 2013 Investors are in a game of wait-and-see with the Federal Reserve. On Monday, they guessed that the Fed will continue trying to prop up the economy, and sent stocks higher ...
June 18, 2013 - Albany Times Union
- A Canadian Mayor Resigns...
Can you guess which one? If you think it's the one embroiled in a violent crack cocaine scandal, you would be wrong. It's the other major Canadian mayor making headlines recently. Interim Montreal mayor Michael Applebaum resigned one day after he was arrested at his Montreal home by UPAC, Quebec's anti-corruption police division. Applebaum is facing 14 charges of fraud against the government ...
June 18, 2013 - The Atlantic Wire via Yahoo! News
- Sarah Palin in USA Today
I guess a small-town mayor is sort of like a community organizer - except that you have actual responsibilities,said Palin, once the mayor of Wasilla, Alaska.
- Roger Federer in Lewiston Sun Journal
As we know, we have no draws in tennis, so there will be a loser,Federer said. "But I guess in this match, both will be winners because this is just absolutely amazing."
- Al Gore in Forbes
I guess with a billion people watching, it's as good a time as any. So my fellow Americans, I'm going to take this opportunity here and now to formally announce my intentions ......,Gore said, his voice trailing away as the orchestra cut him off.