- n a frame that supports a boat while it is under construction
- n a frame for constraining an animal while it is receiving veterinary attention or while being shod
- n a former instrument of punishment consisting of a heavy timber frame with holes in which the feet (and sometimes the hands) of an offender could be locked
- n the capital raised by a corporation through the issue of shares entitling holders to an ownership interest (equity)
- n the merchandise that a shop has on hand
- n the handle of a handgun or the butt end of a rifle or shotgun or part of the support of a machine gun or artillery gun
- n a certificate documenting the shareholder's ownership in the corporation
the value of his stocks doubled during the past year
- n a supply of something available for future use
- n the descendants of one individual
- n a special variety of domesticated animals within a species
- n liquid in which meat and vegetables are simmered; used as a basis for e.g. soups or sauces
- n the reputation and popularity a person has
- n persistent thickened stem of a herbaceous perennial plant
- n a plant or stem onto which a graft is made; especially a plant grown specifically to provide the root part of grafted plants
- n any of several Old World plants cultivated for their brightly colored flowers
- n any of various ornamental flowering plants of the genus Malcolmia
- n lumber used in the construction of something
- n the handle end of some implements or tools
- n an ornamental white cravat
- n any animals kept for use or profit
- v have on hand
- v equip with a stock
- v supply with fish
- v supply with livestock
- v amass so as to keep for future use or sale or for a particular occasion or use
- v provide or furnish with a stock of something
- v put forth and grow sprouts or shoots
- The banking crisis isn't over but financial stocks are showing new zip.
- Stockholders are suing the former managements, claiming that "insiders" reaped big profits by manipulating stocks.
- The London Stock Exchange banned short sales in 1787 to protect banking stocks after a large bank collapsed.
News & Articles
- Stocks Rocket, Amazon And Google Get Going
U.S. stocks are sharply higher Monday morning ahead of one of the most anticipated Fed meetings in the last couple years. Volatility in Japan continued as the Nikkei bounced 2.7%, and the S&P 500 has followed suit with a bounce of 1.15%.
June 17, 2013 - Forbes
- Stocks Vault Higher As Investors Bet On More Fed Magic
U.S. stocks jumped this morning, a signal that investors believe the Federal Reserve will keep its easy-money policy unchanged at a two-day meeting this week.
June 17, 2013 - Forbes
- Stocks set to begin the week higher
Stocks are gaining this morning after making a higher low on Friday. S&P 500 futures are up more than half a percent but have retreated from earlier levels, while European indexes are gaining more than ...
June 17, 2013 - optionMONSTER via Yahoo! Finance
- Barack Obama in Wall Street Journal
He called last year's bull market, remember, saying in March of 2009, "What you're now seeing is profit-and-earning ratios are starting to get to the point where buying stocks is a potentially good deal," whereupon stocks promptly embarked on...
- Chakib Khelil in USA Today
Because of the economic slowdown in the United States - which is affecting world economic growth and world demand on oil this year - I don't think OPEC will consider increasing its production,Khelil told reporters. "Stocks are very high...