- n a visual representation (of an object or scene or person or abstraction) produced on a surface
they showed us the pictures of their wedding
- n graphic art consisting of an artistic composition made by applying paints to a surface
his pictures hang in the Louvre
- n a clear and telling mental image
he described his mental picture of his assailant
he had no clear picture of himself or his world
- n a situation treated as an observable object
the political picture is favorable
- n illustrations used to decorate or explain a text
the dictionary had many pictures
- n a form of entertainment that enacts a story by sound and a sequence of images giving the illusion of continuous movement
- n the visible part of a television transmission
they could still receive the sound but the picture was gone
- n a graphic or vivid verbal description
too often the narrative was interrupted by long word pictures
the author gives a depressing picture of life in Poland
- n a typical example of some state or quality
the very picture of a modern general
she was the picture of despair
- n a representation of a person or scene in the form of a print or transparent slide; recorded by a camera on light-sensitive material
- v imagine; conceive of; see in one's mind
- v show in, or as in, a picture
- Almost from the time that the first television picture tube appeared in the 1920s, electronic engineers have been looking for a simpler, less fragile and more economical device for .
- These often have a picture expander that takes the 4:3 aspect ratio of standard TV and stretches it or zooms and crops the image to fit the wide-format HDTV screen.
- From Michael Jackson's memorial to rioting in China, these are PTI's pictures of the week.
- Tiger Wood in The Guardian
I have been playing with a bad neck for quite a while,Woods said in a statement after walking off. "They want me to get a picture [x-ray] next week. I might have a bulging disc. I have been playing through it. I can't play through it any...
- Barney Frank in Washington Post Blogs (blog)
You stand there with a picture of the president defaced to look like Hitler and compare the effort to increase health care to the Nazis,Frank, who is Jewish, said.
- Annie Leibovitz in hecklerspray
In a statement released on Monday, Annie said: "I'm sorry that my portrait of Miley has been misinterpreted. Miley and I looked at fashion photographs together and we discussed the picture in that context before we shot it. The photograph is a...