- n the act of publicly exhibiting or entertaining
a remarkable show of skill
- n something intended to communicate a particular impression
a show of impatience
a good show of looking interested
- n a social event involving a public performance or entertainment
they wanted to see some of the shows on Broadway
- n pretending that something is the case in order to make a good impression
that ceremony is just for show
- v give an exhibition of to an interested audience
She shows her dogs frequently
- v establish the validity of something, as by an example, explanation or experiment
The mathematician showed the validity of the conjecture
- v provide evidence for
The blood test showed that he was the father
- v make visible or noticeable
She showed her talent for cooking
- v show in, or as in, a picture
- v give expression to
She showed her disappointment
- v indicate a place, direction, person, or thing; either spatially or figuratively
I showed the customer the glove section
- v be or become visible or noticeable
His good upbringing really shows
The dirty side will show
- v indicate a certain reading; of gauges and instruments
The thermometer showed thirteen degrees below zero
- v give evidence of, as of records
The diary shows his distress that evening
- v take (someone) to their seats, as in theaters or auditoriums
The usher showed us to our seats
- v finish third or better in a horse or dog race
he bet $2 on number six to show
- The former show, shot in raw documentary style, looks at the wrenching effects on teens and their families of ending up in juvenile prison.
- Eighteen years after the original show debuted, the Peach Pit reopens for business.
- Meanwhile, it expanded on the show's novelistic tapestry of cops, politicos, junkies, bureaucrats, ministers and hustlers.
News & Articles
- Show and Shine Car Show
Inaya Guidry, 11, sits in her dad Jaison Johnson's (right) 1974 Caprice Classic during the Show and Shine car show at Festival Sundiata at the Seattle Center on Father's Day Sunday June 16, 2013. Festival Sundiata, a free event celebrating African and African-American arts and culture, is in its 33rd year.
June 17, 2013 - Seattle Times
- Cycle Show 2013 featuring more exhibitors and demo tracks
The Cycle Show , the UK's biggest consumer bike show, will be staged at the NEC, Birmingham from 27-29 September. It's your chance to see, ogle and even test the latest bikes that will hit the UK market later this year. The list of exhibitors is impressive, with nearly 150 confirmed for the show so far. The Cycle Show features a number of test riding tracks as well – new for 2013 is the elite ...
June 17, 2013 - BikeRadar
- Air Show starts with big deals for big planes
As the Paris Air Show opened Monday, Boeing and Airbus unveiled some big deals for their widebody planes. Airbus announced a commitment from Doric Asset Finance, a lessor, for 20 of its A380 jumbo jets at a list price of $8.1 billion. It’s the first deal this year for that giant plane; Airbus
June 17, 2013 - Seattle Times
- Arjen Robben in The Associated Press
In the past, we heard often enough how beautiful it was, but there was no payback. So far, it has produced,Robben said of the Dutch "result football." "We have yet to show our most beautiful football. But we have always been able to fall...
- Larry King in ABC News
Before I start the show tonight, I want to share some personal news with you,he said. "Twenty-five years ago, I sat across this table from New York Gov. Mario Cuomo for the first broadcast of 'Larry King Live.' Now, decades later, I talked...