- v cause to feel resentment or indignation
Her tactless remark offended me
- v act in disregard of laws, rules, contracts, or promises
offend all laws of humanity
- v strike with disgust or revulsion
- v hurt the feelings of
- He does offend some people's sensibilities, but the youth of today are offended if they're not offended.
- Members of Congress love biofuels too, not only because so many dream about future Iowa caucuses but also because so few want to offend the farm lobby, the most powerful force .
- The Vatican said the Pope did not intend the remarks which he made during a speech in Germany on Tuesday to offend anyone.
News & Articles
You must think before you act today or you could offend someone you will need to stay on good terms with. You don't have to watch every word you say, of course - just the ones that are potentially hurtful...
June 12, 2013 - New York Post
- Supreme Court Declines Denver Abortion-Protest Case, Hands Win To The Offended
In the battle between the right to offend with free expression and the right to not be offended by free expression, the U.S. Supreme Court this week handed a win to Americans who don’t want to be offended.
June 11, 2013 - The Huffington Post
- Chipper tweets foot in mouth
Chipper Jones is hardly the first athlete to send a tweet filled with language that could certainly offend that is claimed to be in jest. Nor is he lacking in experience in sending such a tweet. But he did bring a new question into the equation: What if you end it with the acronym "Jk"?
June 10, 2013 - MSN
- Barack Obama in 940 News
Obama says those sermons, now circulating on the Internet and television, "rightly offend white and black alike."
- Halle Berry in Washington Post
I so didn't mean to offend anybody _ and after the show I realized it could be seen as offensive, so I asked Jay to take it out, and he did,Berry told the New York Post for Tuesday's editions.
- Akon in Times Online
I was not aware that the statue was even on the set of the video until now. I would never set out to offend or desecrate anyone's religion or religious beliefs,Akon said in a statement. "I myself am a spiritual man, so I can understand why...