- n the feeling of distress and disbelief that you have when something bad happens accidentally
he was numb with shock
- n the violent interaction of individuals or groups entering into combat
the armies met in the shock of battle
- n a reflex response to the passage of electric current through the body
subjects received a small electric shock when they made the wrong response
electricians get accustomed to occasional shocks
- n (pathology) bodily collapse or near collapse caused by inadequate oxygen delivery to the cells; characterized by reduced cardiac output and rapid heartbeat and circulatory insufficiency and pallor
loss of blood is an important cause of shock
- n an instance of agitation of the earth's crust
the first shock of the earthquake came shortly after noon while workers were at lunch
- n an unpleasant or disappointing surprise
it came as a shock to learn that he was injured
- n a pile of sheaves of grain set on end in a field to dry; stalks of Indian corn set up in a field
corn is bound in small sheaves and several sheaves are set up together in shocks
whole fields of wheat in shock
- n a bushy thick mass (especially hair)
he had an unruly shock of black hair
- n a sudden jarring impact
all the jars and jolts were smoothed out by the shock absorbers
- n a mechanical damper; absorbs energy of sudden impulses
the old car needed a new set of shocks
- v surprise greatly; knock someone's socks off
- v strike with disgust or revulsion
The scandalous behavior of this married woman shocked her friends
- v strike with horror or terror
The news of the bombing shocked her
- v collide violently
- v collect or gather into shocks
- v subject to electrical shocks
- v inflict a trauma upon
- For many a first offender, the worst part of prison comes in those shocking first days behind bars.
- Its unsavory reputation may be changing The scene in which Actor Jack Nicholson receives an electric shock treatment in the 1975 film One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.
- Every surgeon dreads, and watches for, post-operative shock.
News & Articles
- Shock lingers after Nazi unit leader found in US
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The revelation that a former commander of a Nazi SS-led military unit has lived quietly in Minneapolis for the past six decades came as a shock to those who know 94-year-old Michael Karkoc. World War II survivors in both the U.S. and Europe harshly condemned the news and prosecutors in Poland have said they'll investigate.
June 16, 2013 - Associated Press via Yahoo! News
- Shock fall to Rattlers 59-42
In a battle of number one versus two the Shock were unable to pull off the upset, falling to the Rattler’s by a final score of 59-42.
June 16, 2013 - KREM.com Spokane
- Shock fall to Arizona in matchup of AFL powers
PHOENIX - Former Spokane Shock quarterback Nick Davila threw for six touchdowns and 233 yards, leading the Arizona Rattlers past the Shock 59-42 in a matchup of teams sporting the best two records in the Arena Football League on Saturday night in front of 10,654 at US Airways Center.
June 16, 2013 - Coeur d'Alene Press
- Virgil in Kansas City Star
The mood is shock and disbelief,Bellevue Mayor Virgil Murray said. "We've had this parade forever. We've had horses in the parade forever."
- Dana Perino in FOXNews
The president is not going to allow a disorderly collapse of the companies,White House press secretary Dana Perino said Thursday. "A disorderly collapse would be something very chaotic that is a shock to the system."
- Marie Osmond in ABC News
In a statement to ABC News, Osmond said, "My family and I are devastated and in deep shock by the tragic loss of our dear Michael and ask that everyone respect our privacy during this difficult time."