- n a vessel (usually cylindrical) with a wide mouth and without handles
- n the quantity contained in a jar
he drank a jar of beer
- n a sudden jarring impact
all the jars and jolts were smoothed out by the shock absorbers
- v be incompatible; be or come into conflict
- v move or cause to move with a sudden jerky motion
- v shock physically
- v affect in a disagreeable way
This play jarred the audience
- v place in a cylindrical vessel
jar the jam
- The last time I went to the bank with a jar of pennies, the teller laughed so hard you'd have thought I was asking for a loan, not trying to make a deposit.
- When the coffin went to its vault the heart-casket and entrails-jar went onto a bracket alongside.
- When a jar of miraculous nectar finally appeared, the demons seized it and the gods pursued them.
News & Articles
- Picnic in a Jar by Mary Ann Esposito
Dragging stuff to the beach or park for a picnic can be a big job but I have a solution: how about summer salad in a jar instead of burgers and dogs for your picnic? Better for you, too! Here is how it works: Just fill mason quart jars with salad ingredients: start by adding 1/2 cup of your favorite dressing in the jar, then add shredded lettuce, avocado, cucumber slices and either tiny shrimp ...
June 12, 2013 - Boston Herald
- Meadville woman digs up 2-headed piglet in mom's yard
A Meadville woman has donated an unusual body to science: the carcass of a two-headed piglet she found preserved in a jar dug up outside her mother's home. Sharon Reagle said she unearthed the jar while planting shrubs at her mother's home in Saegertown on Sunday. Reagle calls the find "unique, pretty neat really." But she felt it was better to donate it to the biology department at nearby ...
June 12, 2013 - WPXI Pittsburgh
- Minn. woman saves deer with jar stuck on its head- Diamondback rattlesnake bites Florida boy, 11
HERMANTOWN, Minn. – A whitetail deer got its head stuck in a clear plastic jar that prevented it from eating or drinking for several days, until a resourceful Duluth-area woman managed to pop the jar off.
June 9, 2013 - Fox News
- Joe Biden in International Herald Tribune
Obama, Biden said, "is probably the most exciting candidate the Democratic or Republican parties have produced since I've been around. He's fresh, new, smart, insightful. Lightning in a jar."
- John Terry in Sportinglife.com
My elbow is all right,said Terry. "There is just a bit of strapping in case I fall and jar it. The last couple of days it has been getting better and hopefully I am going to train without the strapping. I have full range of movement. It is...
- Bruce Bowen in ESPN
People are entitled to their own opinions,Bowen said. "I've been fighting that ['dirty' label] for quite some time. It just so happened that I was there after everyone stuck their hands in the cookie jar and then the lights came on and I...