- n an injury that doesn't break the skin but results in some discoloration
- v injure the underlying soft tissue or bone of
I bruised my knee
- v hurt the feelings of
This remark really bruised my ego
- v break up into small pieces for food preparation
bruise the berries with a wooden spoon and strain them
- v damage (plant tissue) by abrasion or pressure
The customer bruised the strawberries by squeezing them
- How could the bruise have occurred due to the Pathologist's examination? Everyone knows that you can't bruise when you are dead as the blood stops.
- You can see feelings rise in him like a blush or a bruise.
- The standard Death Cab song, sung in the earnest and always reasonable voice of Ben Gibbard, hews to the belief that the world is big and tough, that we are small and bruise easily .
- Lance Armstrong in Herald Sun
I did crash. I think most of us crashed today. It's bad luck,Armstrong said. "The road surface was so slippery there was no way to stand on the bike. I have a big bruise on my hip but that's okay. When I made it back on the bike, it was...
- Jerome Bettis in USA Today
I was worried about it initially. The MRI showed a bone bruise,Bettis said. "That's when the blood came in. That was refreshing for me because whenever you're dealing with a knee and swelling, you always assume the worst. I assumed the...
- Jack Del Rio in ESPN
John has got a shoulder that's, back when I played and even prior to that, I don't think anybody would have had to miss a snap for it,Del Rio said. "I think it's a minor bruise of sorts. I would think Vince Lombardi is probably rolling...