number : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n the property possessed by a sum or total or indefinite quantity of units or individuals
he had a number of chores to do
the number of parameters is small
- n a concept of quantity involving zero and units
every number has a unique position in the sequence
- n a short theatrical performance that is part of a longer program
it was one of the best numbers he ever did
- n the number is used in calling a particular telephone
he has an unlisted number
- n a symbol used to represent a number
- n one of a series published periodically
- n a select company of people
I hope to become one of their number before I die
- n a numeral or string of numerals that is used for identification
she refused to give them her Social Security number
- n a clothing measurement
a number 13 shoe
- n the grammatical category for the forms of nouns and pronouns and verbs that are used depending on the number of entities involved (singular or dual or plural)
in English the subject and the verb must agree in number
- n an item of merchandise offered for sale
she preferred the black nylon number
this sweater is an all-wool number
- v add up in number or quantity
- v give numbers to
You should number the pages of the thesis
- v enumerate
We must number the names of the great mathematicians
- v put into a group
- v determine the number or amount of
- v place a limit on the number of
- PTI takes a close look at America -- by the numbers.
- The Census Bureau updates its estimate of the number of Americans people in the United States who lack health insurance.
- Then the number travels with you forever.
News & Articles
- Number of school bus accidents in Unified steadily decreasing
RACINE — The number of Racine Unified school bus accidents is on a roll — downhill.
June 16, 2013 - The Journal Times
- Number of the day
Number of the day 329,374 That's the number of pounds of hydrochloric acid released in Albany County in 2011, according to the Environmental Protection Agency's 2011 Toxic Release Inventory. That made the air pollutant the top-ranked chemical released locally. Here are the rest of the top five: Ammonia 99,998 Toluene 82,343 Methanol 47,053 Phenol 5,816
June 15, 2013 - Albany Times Union
- Number of homeless in So. Nevada keeps dropping
Officials say the number of people homeless in Clark County keeps falling from its peak in 2009. Authorities say they counted 7,355 homeless people during a two-day census in January. That included
June 15, 2013 - FOX 5 Las Vegas
- Paul Goydos in AFP
It's almost a mythical number in our game,Goydos said. "I've gone from clubbing a ball in the backyard all the way to the moon, and missed all the steps in between."
- Hillary Rodham Clinton in Politico (blog)
I think this announcement is as convincing an answer to the efforts undertaken by Tehran over the last few days as any we could provide,Clinton said at the Senate panel START treaty hearing today. "There are a number of unanswered...
- Dwyane Wade in CNN International
I look forward to playing alongside LeBron, Chris Bosh and our teammates, and together representing the great city of Miami. There's magic in the number 3,he said.