- v determine the number or amount of
- v read out loud as words written numbers
- a able to understand and use numbers
- Japan's public schools still produce consistently literate and numerate graduates.
- The State (speaking broadly) wants a loyal citizenry, indoctrinated in the national mythos that is reasonably literate, numerate, socialized and thus prepared to serve as laborers .
- Rhona Brankin in The Herald
Rhona Brankin, education spokeswoman for the Scottish Labour Party, said: "These new awards do not in themselves ensure that young people become literate and numerate or that Scotland eradicates illiteracy."
- Gordon Brown in BBC News
Mr Brown told the CBI : "We have made big progress on literacy and numeracy. But, as you will tell me, we still have further to go. It is unacceptable that we still have 150,000 children leaving primary school who aren't numerate."
- Richard Lambert in Telegraph.co.uk
Richard Lambert, CBI director general, said: "Employers do not expect everyone to arrive at their door 'job ready', but at the very least they want young people who are literate and numerate and who have good employability skills. Problem solving,...