- n a small piece or quantity of something
a bit of paper
a bit of lint
I gave him a bit of my mind
- n a small fragment of something broken off from the whole
a bit of rock caught him in the eye
- n an indefinitely short time
in just a bit
- n an instance of some kind
he had a bit of good luck
- n piece of metal held in horse's mouth by reins and used to control the horse while riding
the horse was not accustomed to a bit
- n a unit of measurement of information (from binary + digit); the amount of information in a system having two equiprobable states
there are 8 bits in a byte
- n a small amount of solid food; a mouthful
all they had left was a bit of bread
- n a small fragment
- n a short theatrical performance that is part of a longer program
- n the part of a key that enters a lock and lifts the tumblers
- n the cutting part of a drill; usually pointed and threaded and is replaceable in a brace or bitstock or drill press
he looked around for the right size bit
- v to grip, cut off, or tear with or as if with the teeth or jaws
Gunny invariably tried to bite her
- v cause a sharp or stinging pain or discomfort
- v penetrate or cut, as with a knife
The fork bit into the surface
- v deliver a sting to
- Brown's lack of experience in emergency management isn't the only apparent bit of padding on his resume, which raises questions about how rigorously the White House vetted him .
- It looks really weird and a bit freaky.
- The century had its minor villains and antiheroes who caused no little bit of havoc When Love Was the Adventure The five romances that, for better or worse, captured our imagination .
News & Articles
- Chesterfield woman bit by rabid fox near Brandermill
A fox that bit a Chesterfield woman near her Brandermill home has tested positive for rabies.
June 21, 2013 - NBC 12 Richmond
- West Palm man bit by fox, treated for rabies
A West Palm Beach man is undergoing rabies treatments as a precaution after he was bit by a fox Thursday evening.
June 21, 2013 - The Palm Beach Post
- Janesville police looking for dog that bit woman
Janesville Police are looking for the dog that bit a woman Thursday around 1 p.m., according to a release. Officials said the dog approached the woman from the south near Mineral Point and North Oakhill and bit her in the lower right leg. The dog is described as a small, blackish-gray shitzu-type dog with no collar or tags, according to the release. The release stated the woman was treated at a ...
June 21, 2013 - WISC-TV Madison
- Fabio Capello in The Associated Press
We played I think well at 2-1, but after the third goal it was a little bit disappointing,Capello said. "Germany is a big team. They played a good game."
- Boris Johnson in Korea Times
London Mayor Boris Johnson said in a radio interview, "I do think there's something slightly worrying about the anti-British rhetoric that seems to be permeating from America. I would like to see a bit of cool heads rather than endlessly...
- Charlie Manuel in FanHouse
He got quite a bit of consideration, I love watching that guy pitch,Manuel said on TBS Sunday. "He has got a great future. He is going be an All-Star for a long time. What does he have, five starts? I just felt there are other guys who...