- n a wound resulting from biting by an animal or a person
- n a small amount of solid food; a mouthful
- n a painful wound caused by the thrust of an insect's stinger into skin
- n a light informal meal
- n (angling) an instance of a fish taking the bait
after fishing for an hour he still had not had a bite
- n wit having a sharp and caustic quality
the bite of satire
- n a strong odor or taste property
the sulfurous bite of garlic
- n the act of gripping or chewing off with the teeth and jaws
- n a portion removed from the whole
the government's weekly bite from my paycheck
- v to grip, cut off, or tear with or as if with the teeth or jaws
Gunny invariably tried to bite her
- v cause a sharp or stinging pain or discomfort
- v penetrate or cut, as with a knife
- v deliver a sting to
- Ferran Adria has won the adulation of food critics and cooks by whipping up startling combinations of texture, temperature and taste: bite-size cuttlefish ravioli that explode in a .
- When it comes to the economy, both Obama and McCain are talking in sound bites, not hard numbers.
- The bump-and-bite is far more serious.
News & Articles
- Bite marks derided as unreliable in court
At least 24 men convicted or charged with murder or rape based on bite marks on the flesh of victims have been exonerated since 2000. Now a judge’s ruling later this month could help end the practice for good.
June 17, 2013 - Seattle Times
- Bite into a burger at downtown SF location
SANTA FE – Get ready for the Santa Fe Bite, green chile cheeseburger lovers.Th ...
June 17, 2013 - Albuquerque Journal
- Bite mark evidence derided as unreliable in court
At least 24 men convicted or charged with murder or rape based on bite marks on the flesh of victims have been exonerated since 2000, many after spending more than a decade in prison. Now a judge’s ruling later this month in New York could help end the practice for good.
June 16, 2013 - Kingston Daily Freeman
- Barack Obama in Washington Post
That makes for a good sound bite, but it's not factually accurate. It is not true,Obama said. "A vote for reform is a vote to put a stop to taxpayer-funded bailouts."
- Hillary Rodham Clinton in The North Star National
In March 2010, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton explained the administration's plan regarding Iran's nuclear program by declaring, "Our aim is not incremental sanctions but sanctions that will bite."
- Rio Ferdinand in Goal.com
I think those comments will come back to bite Beckenbauer. Perhaps he wasn't expecting Germany and England to meet this early in the competition,Ferdinand told The Sun. "It has unsettled him and he has got a bit rattled, so he's looking...