names : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n verbal abuse; a crude substitute for argument
sticks and stones may break my bones but names can never hurt me
- n a language unit by which a person or thing is known
those are two names for the same thing
- n a person's reputation
- n family based on male descent
- n a well-known or notable person
they studied all the great names in the history of France
- n by the sanction or authority of
- n a defamatory or abusive word or phrase
- v assign a specified (usually proper) proper name to
- v give the name or identifying characteristics of; refer to by name or some other identifying characteristic property
- v charge with a function; charge to be
- v create and charge with a task or function
- v mention and identify by name
- v make reference to
- v identify as in botany or biology, for example
- v give or make a list of; name individually; give the names of
- v determine or distinguish the nature of a problem or an illness through a diagnostic analysis
- Research shows that unpopular names are more likely to lead to a life of crime.
- Sample drum names: "Even if you dress up finely, love is the only thing"; "The giant wood rat has no child, the house rat has no child"; "You'll die of witchcraft at midnight.
- A century and more ago when census takers began to go through the ghettos of German cities, Jews were obliged for the first time to adopt surnames.
News & Articles
- Names released of Perry County couple found dead
The names of the man and woman found dead from gunshot wounds on Friday have been released.
June 15, 2013 - KFVS 12 Cape Girardeau
- Baby Names Inspired By Famous Fathers
Sometimes the names of the fathers who sired future super achievers turn out to be a lot more interesting than those they bestowed on their progeny. For example, Truman Capote’s dad’s name was Archulus, Humphrey Bogart’s was Belmont, Bela Lugosi’s Istvan and Marc Chagall’s Khatskel.
June 15, 2013 - The Huffington Post
- Names of Iowa peregrine falcon chicks announced
The names were selected from suggestions submitted through MidAmerican's Facebook page.
June 14, 2013 - KTVO Kirksville
- Hope Solo in USA Today
It was the wrong decision, and I think anybody that knows anything about the game knows that,Solo said. "There's no doubt in my mind I would have made those saves. ...... You have to live in the present. And you can't live by big names....
- Heather Mills in International Herald Tribune
She has called me many, many names before even meeting me when I was in a wheelchair,said Mills, whose own legal team, in an ironic twist, was led by Princess Diana's divorce lawyer until she fired them in November.
- Calipari in TSN
I've spoken with all five guys concerning the NBA and have encouraged them to put their names in the draft,Kentucky head coach John Calipari stated. "They've all met individually with our compliance office to make sure they have a full...