- n a telephone connection
she reported several anonymous calls
he placed a phone call to London
he heard the phone ringing but didn't want to take the call
- n a special disposition (as if from a divine source) to pursue a particular course
- n a loud utterance; often in protest or opposition
- n a demand especially in the phrase "the call of duty"
- n the characteristic sound produced by a bird
- n a brief social visit
senior professors' wives no longer make afternoon calls on newcomers
the characters in Henry James' novels are forever paying calls on each other, usually in the parlor of some residence
- n a demand by a broker that a customer deposit enough to bring his margin up to the minimum requirement
- n a demand for a show of hands in a card game
after two raises there was a call
- n a request
many calls for Christmas stories
not many calls for buggywhips
- n an instruction that interrupts the program being executed
Pascal performs calls by simply giving the name of the routine to be executed
- n a visit in an official or professional capacity
the pastor's calls on his parishioners
the salesman's call on a customer
- n (sports) the decision made by an umpire or referee
he was ejected for protesting the call
- n the option to buy a given stock (or stock index or commodity future) at a given price before a given date
- v assign a specified (usually proper) proper name to
- v ascribe a quality to or give a name of a common noun that reflects a quality
He called me a bastard
She called her children lazy and ungrateful
- v get or try to get into communication (with someone) by telephone
I tried to call you all night
Take two aspirin and call me in the morning
- v utter a sudden loud cry
- v order, request, or command to come
She was called into the director's office
- v pay a brief visit
The mayor likes to call on some of the prominent citizens
- v call a meeting; invite or command to meet
The Wannsee Conference was called to discuss the `Final Solution'
The new dean calls meetings every week
- v read aloud to check for omissions or absentees
- v send a message or attempt to reach someone by radio, phone, etc.; make a signal to in order to transmit a message
Hawaii is calling!
A transmitter in Samoa was heard calling
- v utter a characteristic note or cry
bluejays called to one another
- v stop or postpone because of adverse conditions, such as bad weather
call a football game
- v greet, as with a prescribed form, title, or name
She calls him by first name
- v make a stop in a harbour
The ship will call in Honolulu tomorrow
- v demand payment of (a loan)
- v make a demand, as for a card or a suit or a show of hands
He called his trump
- v give the calls (to the dancers) for a square dance
- v indicate a decision in regard to
call balls and strikes behind the plate
- v make a prediction about; tell in advance
- v require the presentation of for redemption before maturation
- v challenge (somebody) to make good on a statement; charge with or censure for an offense
He deserves to be called on that
- v declare in the capacity of an umpire or referee
call a runner out
- v lure by imitating the characteristic call of an animal
- v order or request or give a command for
The unions called a general strike for Sunday
- v order, summon, or request for a specific duty or activity, work, role
He was already called 4 times for jury duty
They called him to active military duty
- v utter in a loud voice or announce
He called my name
The auctioneer called the bids
- v challenge the sincerity or truthfulness of
call the speaker on a question of fact
- v consider or regard as being
I would not call her beautiful
- v rouse somebody from sleep with a call
I was called at 5 A.M. this morning
- An Indian employee at a call center provides service support to international customers in the southern city of Bangalore.
- Over two decades ago, I found my calling working in a community devastated by steel-plant closings.
- Elaine Thompson AP Now Barack Obama is reprising the call to service.
News & Articles
- Emergency call boxes not so common at ODU
NORFOLK Large swaths of Old Dominion University lack emergency call boxes, which some experts say are key to campus safety because they can connect victims with police quickly and help prevent crime. Old Dominion has 83 call boxes - including 62 in parking garages alone - on its 251-acre campus. Urban campuses of similar size have far more.
June 22, 2013 - The Virginian-Pilot
- Review: 'Call Me Kuchu' an unnerving look at Ugandan LGBT struggle
'Call Me Kuchu,' from directors Katherine Fairfax Wright and Malika Zouhali-Worrall, documents Uganda's anti-homosexuality bill, the murder of David Kato. In a time when states are ratifying gay marriage at a record pace and the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy is old news, when the Boy Scouts of America reverse a controversial policy and now accept gay scouts, "Call Me Kuchu," a ...
June 21, 2013 - Los Angeles Times
- Jail phone call leads to 2 arrests in drug-deal slaying of Alief boy, woman
Jail phone call leads to 2 arrests in drug-deal slaying of Alief boy, woman Houston Chronicle Copyright 2013 Houston Chronicle. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Updated 7:55 pm, Friday, June 21, 2013 Two more people have been charged in the execution-style slaying last month of a 10-year-old boy and the girlfriend of the boy's ...
June 21, 2013 - Houston Chronicle
- Donovan in The Associated Press
I'ma little gutted to be honest,Donovan said. "I don't know how they stole that last goal from us ...... I'm not sure what the call was. He (the referee) wouldn't tell us what the call was."
- Mike Garrett in ESPN (blog)
I have spoken with Mr. Baxter and he has now confirmed that he did not receive a call from your institution,Garrett wrote to Moore. "Therefore, USC has no intention of pursuing this matter further. I apologize for any inconvenience or...
- John McCain in Sydney Morning Herald
The Republicans' presidential candidate, Senator John McCain, said in an interview: "The first thing I'd do is say, let's not call it a bail-out. Let's call it a rescue. Because it is a rescue. It's a rescue of Main Street America."