- n an authoritative direction or instruction to do something
- n an attempt to get something
he made a bid to gain attention
- n a formal proposal to buy at a specified price
- n (bridge) the number of tricks a bridge player is willing to contract to make
- v propose a payment
- v invoke upon
- v ask for or request earnestly
The prophet bid all people to become good persons
- v make a demand, as for a card or a suit or a show of hands
- v make a serious effort to attain something
His campaign bid for the attention of the poor population
- v ask someone in a friendly way to do something
- Unlike 1993 when China lost the Games bid to Sydney, there was no obvious scapegoat here.
- But California law permits a new bid to be made directly to the probate court, providing the bid is at least 10% higher than the previous high bid.
- Wanding was in prison the last time Beijing made a bid for the Olympic Games.
News & Articles
- Takeover bid by Troy Resources Limited for Azimuth Resources Limited - Notice of Change of Interests of Substantial ...
Takeover bid by Troy Resources Limited for Azimuth Resources Limited - Notice of Change of Interests of Substantial Holder and Institutional Acceptance Facility
June 12, 2013 - CNW Group via Yahoo! Finance
- Vodafone makes informal bid for Kabel Deutschland: Bloomberg
(Reuters) - Vodafone Group Plc has made an informal takeover bid within the past week for Germany's biggest cable company, Kabel Deutschland Holding AG, Bloomberg reported, citing people with knowledge of the matter. Takeover talks have not formally begun because Kabel Deutschland believes the price Vodafone suggested was too low, Bloomberg said, citing people who were not authorized to speak ...
June 11, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Bid passed for seal coat
Lone Star Equipment was the winning company in a bid considered by Athens City Council Monday. The bid was $176,886.71 for the 2013 Seal Coat Program. Other companies that bid on the project were Wes Scott, Inc. of Cooper, and Reynolds & Kay, LTD of Tyler.
June 10, 2013 - Athens Daily Review
- Steve Ballmer in guardian.co.uk
Microsoft's chief executive, Steve Ballmer, said: "Despite our best efforts, including raising our bid by roughly $5bn, Yahoo has not moved toward accepting our offer. After careful consideration, we believe the economics demanded by Yahoo do not...
- Barack Obama in Sydney Morning Herald
We have already identified two trillion dollars in savings over the next decade,Obama said, who will unveil his first budget on Thursday. "We'll eliminate the no-bid contracts that have wasted billions in Iraq, and reform our defence...
- Jacob Zuma in AFP
I don?t see why we can?t bid to host the Olympics in the future. It's important for Africa,he said.