- n someone who learned to fight in the streets rather than being formally trained in the sport of boxing
- n an aggressive and violent young criminal
- n a cruel and brutal fellow
- a not given to gentleness or sentimentality
a tough character
- s very difficult; severely testing stamina or resolution
the competition was tough
it's a tough life
it was a tough job
- a physically toughened
the tough bottoms of his feet
- s substantially made or constructed
a tough all-weather fabric
some plastics are as tough as metal
- s violent and lawless
tough street gangs
- s feeling physical discomfort or pain (`tough' is occasionally used colloquially for `bad')
he was feeling tough after a restless night
- a resistant to cutting or chewing
- s unfortunate or hard to bear
a tough break
- s making great mental demands; hard to comprehend or solve or believe
- And while the debates don't often change the votes of other members, Durbin's tough questioning of his colleagues and his willingness to defend his own proposals clarify and .
- Mark Clothier and John Helyar have written a fine Bloomberg article about tough times in Ridgewood, NJ, that doesn't seem to be available anywhere on the Bloomberg site but is .
- A Florida juvenile offender's death has Governor Jeb Bush and his state's tough-love justice programs under assault.
News & Articles
- W. Volleyball. Kansas Releases Tough 2013 Volleyball Schedule
Prepped to build on the momentum created by a highlight-reel 2012 season, Kansas volleyball's tough 2013 schedule includes 14 matches against teams that played in the 2012 NCAA Tournament, head coach Ray Bechard announced Monday.
June 17, 2013 - Kansas Jayhawks
- Morsi's new tough tone on Syria raises concerns of a nod to jihadi fighters
CAIRO — Under Hosni Mubarak's rule, Egypt's authorities took a tough line on Egyptians coming home after waging "jihad" in places like Afghanistan, Chechnya or the Balkans, fearing they would bring back extremist ideology, combat experience and a thirst for regime change.
June 16, 2013 - Minneapolis-St. Paul Star Tribune
- Tough New Gun Laws Drive Gun Makers To Move
Six months after the school shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School, Connecticut is one of a handful of states that have passed tough new gun laws. Firearms manufacturers in at least two of those states are planning to move their operations elsewhere.
June 14, 2013 - NPR
- LeBron James in CNBC
This fall, and it's very tough,James said to a national TV audience. "I'm going to take my talents to South Beach and join the Miami Heat."
- Wesley Sneijder in Telegraph.co.uk
Sneijder, who's deflected goal gave Holland a crucial 2-1 lead said: "This is unforgettable". "It was a tough fight and towards the end we complicated matters. Sunday, we play in the World Cup final. I have to get used to that."
- David Petraeus in USA Today
My sense is that the tough fighting will continue,he said at his Senate confirmation hearing, after which he was approved in a 99-0 vote. "It may get more intense in the next few months."