hard : Definition, Usages, News and More
- a not easy; requiring great physical or mental effort to accomplish or comprehend or endure
why is it so hard for you to keep a secret?
- a dispassionate;
took a hard look
a hard bargainer
- a resisting weight or pressure
- s very strong or vigorous
a hard left to the chin
- s characterized by effort to the point of exhaustion; especially physical effort
- a produced without vibration of the vocal cords
- a (of light) transmitted directly from a pointed light source
- a (of speech sounds); produced with the back of the tongue raised toward or touching the velum
Russian distinguished between hard consonants and palatalized or soft consonants
- s given to excessive indulgence of bodily appetites especially for intoxicating liquors
a hard drinker
- s being distilled rather than fermented; having a high alcoholic content
- s unfortunate or hard to bear
had hard luck
- s dried out
hard dry rolls left over from the day before
- r with effort or force or vigor
the team played hard
worked hard all day
pressed hard on the lever
hit the ball hard
slammed the door hard
- r with firmness
held hard to the railing
- r earnestly or intently
thought hard about it
stared hard at the accused
- r causing great damage or hardship
industries hit hard by the depression
- r slowly and with difficulty
prejudices die hard
- r indulging excessively
- r into a solid condition
concrete that sets hard within a few hours
- r very near or close in space or time
it stands hard by the railroad tracks
they were hard on his heels
a strike followed hard upon the plant's opening
- r with pain or distress or bitterness
he took the rejection very hard
- r to the full extent possible; all the way
the ship went hard astern
swung the wheel hard left
- When you're eight months pregnant, it's hard to find a good interview suit.
- Analysis: New growth figures raise fears of inflation, but the consensus remains that China can avoid a hard landing.
- Even in the case of thrift and hard work, how much credit do you deserve for inheriting those fine values? How is it different from inheriting good genes?.
News & Articles
- Hard Dollar's Lasso Project Intelligence Leverages Birst to Help Customers Quickly Identify Cost and Schedule Problems ...
Birst Inc., the leader in Cloud BI, and Hard Dollar Corporation, the category creator and leader of project cost management software for capital and asset-intensive industries, today announced that Hard ...
June 19, 2013 - Marketwired via Yahoo! Finance
- 'Hard Knocks' won't cut the cuts
Some NFL teams wouldn't agree to let 'Hard Knocks' show players getting released. No deal, says the HBO show.
June 18, 2013 - Fox Sports
- Hard man actor Jason Statham hopes new film shows softer side
LONDON (Reuters) - British actor Jason Statham, known for playing the hard man in a list of Hollywood blockbusters, said he hoped his latest film "Hummingbird" would show a more emotional side to his acting even though the thriller is packed with violence. Statham, 45, walked the red carpet with his supermodel girlfriend Rosie Huntington-Whiteley in London's Leicester Square on Monday for the ...
June 18, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News