- s intensely or extremely bad or unpleasant in degree or quality
a severe case of flu
- s very strong or vigorous
a severe blow
- s severely simple
- s unsparing and uncompromising in discipline or judgment
a parent severe to the pitch of hostility"- H.G.Wells
a hefty six-footer with a rather severe mien
- s causing fear or anxiety by threatening great harm
a severe case of pneumonia
- s very bad in degree or extent
a severe worldwide depression
the house suffered severe damage
- In one study involving patients with severe sleep apnea (five or more episodes of apnea per hour), researchers found it was "significantly related to a two-fold increased risk of a .
- Despite her reputation for being icy and inscrutable, despite the severe perfection of her hairstyle and wardrobe, Wintour has taken it upon herself to act as something of a .
- On three separate occasions, his hallucinations were so severe he tried to commit suicide by provoking the police to shoot him.
News & Articles
- Severe weather threatening parts of Midwest
Severe thunderstorms, widespread damaging winds, hail and tornadoes are forecast over parts of the Upper Midwest into the Ohio Valley, the National Weather Service said.
June 12, 2013 - CNN
- Severe storm threat Wednesday night
SEVERE STORMS DEVELOP The heat and humidity that arrived in central Indiana Wednesday afternoon – (warmest here since last September) will provide the fuel for a complex of severe storms alter tonight. As of 4:30PM the atmosphere is capped meaning …
June 12, 2013 - FOX 59 Indianapolis
- Severe Thunderstorm Warning until 5 p.m.
Severe Thunderstorm Warning for Clayton, Spalding and Henry Counties until 5 p.m.
June 12, 2013 - WXIA-TV Atlanta
- Robert Gates in msnbc.com
...Washington, Defense Secretary Robert Gates told the Senate Armed Services Committee on Wednesday that failure in Afghanistan would mean a Taliban takeover of the country and "have severe consequences for the United States and the world."
- John Demjanjuk in FOXNews
In a signed statement attached to the motions, Demjanjuk, seeking asylum, said that deportation to Germany "will expose me to severe physical and mental pain that clearly amount to torture under any reasonable definition of the term."
- Ben Bernanke in International Herald Tribune
Given the exceptional pressures on the global economy and financial system, the damage caused by a default by Bear Stearns could have been severe and extremely difficult to contain,Bernanke told the Senate Banking Committee.