- n the period of greatest prosperity or productivity
- n a rosy color (especially in the cheeks) taken as a sign of good health
- n sudden brief sensation of heat (associated with menopause and some mental disorders)
- n a poker hand with all 5 cards in the same suit
- n the swift release of a store of affective force
- n a sudden rapid flow (as of water)
he heard the flush of a toilet
- n sudden reddening of the face (as from embarrassment or guilt or shame or modesty)
- v turn red, as if in embarrassment or shame
- v flow freely
The garbage flushed down the river
- v glow or cause to glow with warm color or light
the sky flushed with rosy splendor
- v make level or straight
- v rinse, clean, or empty with a liquid
flush the wound with antibiotics
- v irrigate with water from a sluice
- v cause to flow or flood with or as if with water
flush the meadows
- s of a surface exactly even with an adjoining one, forming the same plane
a door flush with the wall
the bottom of the window is flush with the floor
- s having an abundant supply of money or possessions of value
a speculator flush with cash
- r squarely or solidly
hit him flush in the face
- r in the same plane
set it flush with the top of the table
- To flush or not to flush.
- The story of Archie Bunker and his working-class family in Queens arrived on American TVs as loudly and rudely as the "terlet" flush that broke TV ground in the first episode.
- Americans have not taken to dual-flush toilets, as they are known, says Toto's New York sales rep, Kurt Raabe, because the early models were substandard.
- Doris Lessing in International Herald Tribune
I've won all the prizes in Europe, every bloody one, so I'm delighted to win them all,Lessing said. "It's a royal flush."
- Richard Blumenthal in USA Today
Our goal is to literally flush Cocaine down the drain across the nation,said Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal, who announced the company's agreement with his state Monday. "Our main complaint about Cocaine is its name and...
- Ian Poulter in Naples Daily News
I flushed it, and I knew I had to flush it,said Poulter, who used an 8-iron from 169 yards. "So as soon as it left the club, I knew it was going to be pretty good. Obviously the bank on the right-hand side is your friend with that pin...