- n an affluent person; a person who is financially well off
the so-called emerging affluents
- n a branch that flows into the main stream
- s having an abundant supply of money or possessions of value
an affluent banker
- In the recent months there has been a spate of kidnappings in the affluent quarter of the city.
- Despite an sluggish economy, the appetite for luxury goods seems to be only growing in the affluent section of the society.
- It is better that the affluent do a reality check and earnestly think of redistributing wealth to the unfortunate.
News & Articles
- Cho Yong Pil: Meet the K-Pop Legend
Cho Yong Pil’s Seoul office in the affluent Seocho-dong neighborhood is surprisingly neat and tidy given all that's inside. The room is packed with...
June 12, 2013 - Billboard
- Just three years after first iPad’s debut, 34% of Americans own tablets
Sometimes it’s hard to believe that tablets have only been around for a little more than three years. The New York Times reports that the latest numbers from the Pew Research Center show that 34% of all Americans over the age of 18 own a tablet, or nearly double the 18% share who owned tablets in April 2012. The Times notes that tablet adoption is growing fastest among “more affluent households ...
June 12, 2013 - BGR News via Yahoo! News
- Fox Chapel superintendent retiring as degree questioned
The superintendent of an affluent Pittsburgh-area school district has announced she'll retire, as questions about her doctoral degree have been raised.
June 11, 2013 - WTAE-TV Pittsburgh
- Pope Benedict XVI in FOXNews
Benedict said his Christmas message applied to "wherever an increasingly uncertain future is regarded with apprehension, even in affluent nations."
- Terry Lundgren in International Herald Tribune
Dubai offers a unique opportunity for Bloomingdale's,Lundgren said in a statement. "It is a fast-growing, affluent marketplace that has emerged as an international destination for tourism, sporting events and business."
- David Willetts in Times of India
David Willetts, the opposition Conservative party' shadow cabinet member responsible for the family, said it would be "extremely dangerous if marriage became something only for the affluent elite" and advocated steps to bolster marriage.