- a filled with fear or apprehension
afraid even to turn his head
suddenly looked afraid
afraid for his life
afraid of snakes
afraid to ask questions
- s filled with regret or concern; used often to soften an unpleasant statement
I'm afraid I won't be able to come
he was afraid he would have to let her go
I'm afraid you're wrong
- s feeling worry or concern or insecurity
She was afraid that I might be embarrassed
terribly afraid of offending someone
I am afraid we have witnessed only the first phase of the conflict
- s having feelings of aversion or unwillingness
afraid of hard work
afraid to show emotion
- He is afraid that both Democrats and Republicans in Washington are deeply corrupt and that their corruption is spreading like a plague.
- Never afraid to challenge the status quo, he's a refreshing change in arenas too often concerned about consensus and not rocking the boat.
- The superintendents are afraid of the board of education, and the board is afraid of the truth.
News & Articles
- Taking center stage: "Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?" premiers at Lakeside
Photo courtesy of Lakeside Community Theatre - Cast members of "Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?" pose for the camera. The play kicked on today and will conclude with performances next Friday and Saturday.
June 16, 2013 - The Colony Courier-Leader
- Letter: Let security continue
I'm afraid there are really some people around that believe security will always be there to protect us and that smart...
June 16, 2013 - Deseret News
- Restrict volume on iPhone, iPod, and iPad
Afraid your kids are blowing out their eardrums with their iPod, iPhone, or iPad? CNET's Donald Bell shows how to lock down a maximum volume setting. Originally posted at How To
June 15, 2013 - CNET
- John McCain in ABC News
I'm not afraid of the fight, I'm ready for it,McCain told noisy supporters at a rally in this Republican region and home of the world's largest chocolate factory.
- Vice President Dick Cheney in The Wichita Eagle
Cheney said that Obama "seems afraid to make a decision, and unable to provide his commander on the ground with the troops he needs to complete his mission."
- Gordon Brown in Reuters UK
Knowing as she did the threats to her life ...... she risked everything in her attempt to win democracy in Pakistan and she has been assassinated by cowards afraid of democracy,Brown said in a televised statement.