afoul : Definition, Usages, News and More
- s especially of a ship's lines etc
with its sails afoul
- Demanded another in dignantly: "Does this mean that the Japanese, now that they are 'white,' cannot associate with us without running afoul of the Immorality Act?".
- The Yamadayevs, however, ran afoul of Ramzan Kadyrov, the man Putin installed as ruler of Chechnya.
- The Governor was widely considered an inept, ineffective leader even before he ran afoul of the law.
News & Articles
- City says plastic bags not solution for nuisance geese
A Clinton neighborhood has run afoul of geese. A 1 Garaywa Road resident has had enough and seems to have found an answer. Unfortunately her neighbors and the City of Clinton don't find it very appealing.
June 13, 2013 - WLBT 3 Jackson
- UConn men's basketball regains postseason eligibility
The University of Connecticut men's basketball program has qualified to be academically eligible for the 2014 NCAA tournament. UConn's Huskies had been barred from this year's tournament because they had run afoul of the NCAA's Academic Progress Rate. The program's APR, which is a measure of student-athletes' academic progress, is based upon a scale up to 1,000 points. The NCAA adopted a new ...
June 12, 2013 - KSAT San Antonio
- Obama Cans Regulator Who Crossed Wall Street
The Obama Administration is quietly firing Commodity Futures Trading Commission head Gary Gensler, who ran afoul of big banks by pushing for greater government oversight. read more
June 11, 2013 - CommonDreams.org
- Ken Salazar in New York Times
The previous administration's 'anywhere, anyhow' policy on oil and gas development ran afoul of communities, carved up the landscape, and fueled costly conflicts that created uncertainty for investors and industry,Interior Secretary Ken...
- William Rehnquist in International Herald Tribune
While the Commandments are religious, they have an undeniable historical meaning,Rehnquist wrote. "Simply having religious content or promoting a message consistent with a religious doctrine does not run afoul of the Establishment Clause."
- Ike Skelton in Reuters Blogs (blog)
Plans to transfer Guantanamo detainees to Fort Leavenworth would require additional expenses for military construction and enhanced security so as not to run afoul of the law,Skelton said. "I feel strongly that Fort Leavenworth is not an...