- v go away or leave
He absented himself
- a not being in a specified place
- s nonexistent
the thumb is absent
- s lost in thought; showing preoccupation
an absent stare
an absentminded professor
- Luskin had just received a fax from Patrick Fitzgerald, the special counsel in the case, saying that he was formally notifying Luskin that absent any unexpected developments, he .
- Absent parents, absent children: the theme of Ponyo.
- President Bush, Donald Rumsfeld and Paul Wolfowitz were conspicuously absent from Shinseki's retirement ceremony in 2003.
News & Articles
- With 2 trustees absent, HISD delays vote on tax rate proposal
With 2 trustees absent, HISD delays vote on tax rate proposal Houston Chronicle Copyright 2013 Houston Chronicle. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Published 8:56 pm, Thursday, June 20, 2013 The Houston school board on Thursday postponed a vote on the district's budget with two trustees absent and some concerned about supporting a ...
June 21, 2013 - Houston Chronicle
- Pagan carted off field in first rehab game
Outfielder Angel Pagan, who has been absent from the Giants' lineup since May 25 with a strained left hamstring, had a setback during the first game of his rehab assignment with Class A San Jose at Stockton. Pagan was unable to run out a grounder to second base in the ninth inning and had to limp to first base before collapsing to the ground. A cart took Pagan off the field.
June 21, 2013 - Major League Baseball
- Scott Brown to campaign with Gabriel Gomez
Senator Scott P. Brown, largely absent from the Senate campaign trail after deciding not to run himself, will appear an election-eve really for Republican nominee Gabriel E. Gomez, a top Gomez campaign official said Thursday.
June 20, 2013 - Boston Globe
- Barack Obama in Detroit Free Press
I said, 'None of us are absent of some regrets ...... that's why we enjoy and seek the grace of God.' As I reflect on the full sweep of 92 years, it seems to me that his life bent toward justice,Obama said. "Robert Byrd possessed that...
- John McCain in Washington Post
It's huge that he's absent,John McCain told George Stephanopoulos, "not only because of my personal affection for him, but because I think the health-care reform might be in a very different place today."
- Ben Bernanke in guardian.co.uk
The financial markets are in quite fragile condition and I think absent a plan they will get worse,Bernanke said.