- a sparing in consumption of especially food and drink
the pleasures of the table, never of much consequence to one naturally abstemious"- John Galsworthy
- s marked by temperance in indulgence
abstemious with the use of adverbs
- After an entire life given to over-indulgence , Sean has suddenly turned abstemious.
- Being abstemious does not necessarily mean that a person is virtuous.
- Heart surgery usually produces a disciplined and grumpily abstemious person.
News & Articles
- Looking Back
Word of the success of Albany native Edward E. McCall, New York City mayoral candidate, former judge and chairman of the public service commission, prompted childhood friends to recall him as a "quick, clever, abstemious, a good, red-blooded, cheery youngster." The use of automatic or semiautomatic weapons — which police called "bastards" — was becoming more prevalent in Albany street violence ...
Aug. 28, 2013 - Albany Times Union
- John Paul Stevens in San Francisco Chronicle
For Juneau-Douglas High School to argue that Frederick's banner undermined its education mission, Stevens wrote, the school must show "that Frederick's supposed advocacy stands a meaningful chance of making otherwise-abstemious students try...
- Paul McGrath in Mirror.co.uk
I was a big drinker. Big enough to be deemed a roaring drunk by the abstemious standards of today,McGrath told the Irish Independent two years ago. "But, back then, different attitudes prevailed. Beer was as much a part of most...