- n a situation in which life seems irrational and meaningless
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"--Albert Camus
- s inconsistent with reason or logic or common sense
the absurd predicament of seeming to argue that virtue is highly desirable but intensely unpleasant"- Walter Lippman
- s incongruous; inviting ridicule
the absurd excuse that the dog ate his homework
- An "absurd situation" it is, observed President Frederick Paul Keppel of the Carnegie Corporation last week, that engineers have applied their science far less to buildings than .
- They dismissed her unfinished seams and asymmetrical cuts as absurd.
- The idea is so simple, absurd and a kid's dream come true.
News & Articles
- Senator Mitch McConell: Preventing Corporations From Having Same Rights As People "Absurd"
Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell is calling a proposed amendment that would prevent corporations from having the same rights as people “absurd.” As noted by Raw Story , McConnell was talking to the American Enterprise Solution when he made the comments, and he accused the Obama administration of using a “culture of intimidation” to interfere with corporate free speech. “Well you have to ...
June 21, 2013 - Opposing Views
- Uruguay vs. Nigeria: Lineups
Now that we're done with the absurd beatdown that was Spain versus Tahiti (you'll never guess which side won 10-0!) it's time for real football to return with Uruguay versus Nigeria . If Uruguay want to advance out of the group stages, they'll have to at least draw against this January's Africa Cup of Nations winners, but they have the personnel to exploit the Super Eagle's shaky defence.
June 20, 2013 - Philly.com
- This Is The Best Picture Of A Guinea Pig In Armor You'll See All Day
Fans of the absurd this week were delighted when guinea pig-scale armor — complete with helmet and chain mail — went on eBay with a starting bid of $5.
June 20, 2013 - Business Insider
- David Remnick in Los Angeles Times
Satire is part of what we do, and it is meant to bring things out into the open, to hold up a mirror to the absurd,Remnick said.
- Chris Dodd in National Post
I'm very aware of my present political standing here at home in Connecticut,said Mr. Dodd, 65. "But it is equally clear that any certain prediction about an election victory or defeat nearly a year from now would be absurd."
- Rudy Giuliani in Reuters
I don't think I've ever heard that before, and I've heard some pretty absurd explanations for September 11th,Giuliani said to wild applause, asking Paul to withdraw the comment.