abstinent : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a person who refrains from drinking intoxicating beverages
- s self-restraining; not indulging an appetite especially for food or drink
not totally abstinent but abstemious
- Campral, the first new drug approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in almost a decade for helping drinkers remain abstinent, could help.
- After the subjects had been abstinent a year, Volkow rescanned their brains and found that they had begun to return to their predrug state.
- Abstinent himself, he worried much and cautioned often about society's move away from traditional family patterns and its increasing self-indulgence.
News & Articles
- Young cannabis-smokers aware of the health risks
( University of Zurich ) Young Swiss men who drink alcohol and smoke tobacco or cannabis read up on addictive substances more frequently than their abstinent peers. They report their knowledge of the health risks as very good whereas abstainers rate themselves as poorer in this respect. Preventive measures that are solely based on providing information come up short for informed young consumers ...
July 29, 2013 - EurekAlert!
- Kate Walsh in NewsBusters (blog)
Walsh, who is a board member for Planned Parenthood, said during the interview: "Abstinence is one -- abstinence is one aspect of sex education, but it is not the complete aspect. And to expect, I think, everybody to remain abstinent is just -- it's...