- n any materials unused and rejected as worthless or unwanted
they collect the waste once a week
much of the waste material is carried off in the sewers
- n useless or profitless activity; using or expending or consuming thoughtlessly or carelessly
if the effort brings no compensating gain it is a waste
- n the trait of wasting resources
a life characterized by thriftlessness and waste
the wastefulness of missed opportunities
- n an uninhabited wilderness that is worthless for cultivation
the trackless wastes of the desert
- n (law) reduction in the value of an estate caused by act or neglect
- v spend thoughtlessly; throw away
He wasted his inheritance on his insincere friends
- v use inefficiently or inappropriately
waste a joke on an unappreciative audience
- v get rid of
We waste the dirty water by channeling it into the sewer
- v run off as waste
The water wastes back into the ocean
- v get rid of (someone who may be a threat) by killing
- v spend extravagantly
waste not, want not
- v lose vigor, health, or flesh, as through grief
- v cause to grow thin or weak
- v cause extensive destruction or ruin utterly
The enemy lay waste to the countryside after the invasion
- v become physically weaker
- s located in a dismal or remote area; desolate
- By recycling organic waste--composting it--methane emissions are eliminated.
- It's called electronic waste, or e-waste, and the world produces a lot of it: 20 to 50 million tons a year, according to the UN enough to load a train that would stretch around .
- The Isle of Wight impressively recycles 50% of its household waste, so the gasification plant will subsist on the other half, the so-called residual waste.
News & Articles
- Waste Management says project wouldn’t expand Penn Township landfill
By Chris Foreman, Tribune-Review Waste Management is seeking a financing package from the state for improvements to several solid-waste facilities in Pennsylvania, but the plans don’t include an expansion ...
June 27, 2013 - The Mckeesport Daily News
- Casella Waste Systems, Inc. Announces Fourth Quarter and Fiscal Year 2013 Results; Provides Fiscal Year 2014 Guidance
RUTLAND, Vt. -- Casella Waste Systems, Inc. , a regional solid waste, recycling and resource management services company, today reported financial results for its fourth quarter and fiscal year 2013, and ...
June 26, 2013 - GlobeNewswire via Yahoo! Finance
- Environmental Waste International Announces Major Milestone at its TR 900 Facility
Environmental Waste International Inc. , a company specializing in eco-friendly systems with proven patented technology for the breakdown of organic materials, today announced the successful completion ...
June 25, 2013 - Marketwired via Yahoo! Finance
- Barack Obama in eTaiwan News
Obama said "I will not waste time with those who have made the calculation that it's better politics to kill this plan than improve it."
- William Bratton in KNBC.com
I figured I'd come over and straighten out -- we have no intention of participating in today's hearing. It's a total waste of time. We have sufficent laws on the books that we enforce to deal with this issue,Bratton said, still sweaty from...