- v get rid of (someone who may be a threat) by killing
The mafia liquidated the informer
- v eliminate by paying off (debts)
- v convert into cash
I had to liquidate my holdings to pay off my ex-husband
- v settle the affairs of by determining the debts and applying the assets to pay them off
liquidate a company
- Most hedge funds do not regularly liquidate their entire portfolio, so they report unrealized gains to their investors and to the public.
- Hoover passes a stern judgment on Secretary of the Treasury Andrew Mellon, whose only formula, says Hoover, was: "Liquidate labor, liquidate stocks, liquidate the farmers .
- Or maybe your marriage breaks up, and you have to liquidate your assets at today's prices.
- Radovan Karadzic in Newsday
This court is representing itself falsely as a court of the international community, whereas it is in fact a court of NATO, whose aim is to liquidate me,said Karadzic, who faces charges relating to the 1995 massacre of 8,000 male Muslims in...
- Carlyle in Reuters
The company is in ongoing negotiations with the remaining lenders, who hold approximately $16 billion in securities, and, if a mutually beneficial agreement is not reached, some of these lenders may also liquidate their securities,Carlyle...
- Alan Greenspan in Chicago Tribune
Asked what would happen if the government cannot find a way to reach a deal on Lehman without public money, Greenspan said, "They have to make a very key decision as to whether or not they allow it to liquidate or they support it. And those are very...