- n a whip used to inflict punishment (often used for pedantic humor)
- n something causing misery or death
- n a person who inspires fear or dread
- v punish severely; excoriate
- v whip
- v cause extensive destruction or ruin utterly
- Drugs were the scourge of pre-communist China.
- Zinc tablets help African communities fight diarrhea, a scourge that claims the lives of an astonishing 1.
- On one hand, my colleague's view of Sinatra as scourge of baby boomers the anti-Judy Collins, if you will is a crude caricature of a complex artist, as reductive as any neo .
News & Articles
- New Yorkers not letting the bedbugs bite
New Yorkers have gotten a handle on bedbugs since the 2010 scourge that kept the city scratching and fearful of infestation.
June 16, 2013 - amNewYork
- Silent addiction: Babies at risk
It has been called an epidemic, a silent scourge and a bigger problem than illegal drugs.
June 16, 2013 - Fort Wayne Journal Gazette
- Help stop scourge of elder abuse
Help stop scourge of elder abuse On that day, communities in the USA and all over the world will sponsor events to highlight the growing tragic issue of elder abuse. Elder abuse can be physical, emotional, financial and sexual. Elder abuse can be prevented if everyone would learn the warning signs and report it to Adult Protective Services or the police if they suspect it is happening. The ...
June 13, 2013 - Albany Times Union
- Denis Hart in The Canadian Press
The scourge of sexual abuse continues to cause great distress and in many cases a crisis of faith amongst Catholics,Hart told worshippers gathered at St. Patrick's Cathedral in Melbourne, Australia's second-largest city.
- Robert Gates in USA Today
Our goal is an Iraq that can defend itself, sustain itself, and govern itself, and live free from the scourge of extremism,said Gates. "There's widespread agreement here that failure would be a calamity for American national interests and...
- Ban Ki-moon in Xinhua
Through the practice of prenatal sex selection, countless others are denied the right even to exist,Ban said. "No country, no culture, no woman young or old is immune to this scourge. Far too often, the crimes go unpunished, the...