- n the act of using
he warned against the use of narcotic drugs
- n what something is used for
ballet is beautiful but what use is it?
- n a particular service
he put his knowledge to good use
patrons have their uses
- n (economics) the utilization of economic goods to satisfy needs or in manufacturing
- n (psychology) an automatic pattern of behavior in reaction to a specific situation; may be inherited or acquired through frequent repetition
long use had hardened him to it
- n exerting shrewd or devious influence especially for one's own advantage
- n (law) the exercise of the legal right to enjoy the benefits of owning property
we were given the use of his boat
- v put into service; make work or employ for a particular purpose or for its inherent or natural purpose
use your head!
we only use Spanish at home
I can't use this tool
use the plastic bags to store the food
He doesn't know how to use a computer
- v take or consume (regularly or habitually)
She uses drugs rarely
- v use up, consume fully
- v seek or achieve an end by using to one's advantage
She uses her influential friends to get jobs
The president's wife used her good connections
- v avail oneself to
use care when going down the stairs
use your common sense
- v habitually do something (use only in the past tense)
She used to call her mother every week but now she calls only occasionally
I used to get sick when I ate in that dining hall
They used to vacation in the Bahamas
- It's a wind turbine designed especially for home use.
- I find use of credit cards over the Internet to have been safe so far.
- If you can use them and you don't, you're basically throwing money away unnecessarily.
News & Articles
- WA heroin use, deaths up, especially in youth - Thu, 13 Jun 2013 PST
SEATTLE — Heroin use and related deaths have increased significantly across Washington over the past decade, especially among people younger than 30, according to a new study released Wednesday.
June 13, 2013 - The Spokesman-Review
- Growing Use of Web Applications in Asia-Pacific Businesses Spurs Installation of Web Application Firewalls, Finds ...
SINGAPORE, June 13, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The increasing use of web applications in enterprises, along with the rise in cyber attacks and regulatory requirements, has lent momentum to the web application ...
June 13, 2013 - PR Newswire via Yahoo! Finance
- Heroin use, deaths increase in state
SEATTLE -- Heroin use and related deaths have increased significantly across Washington over the past decade, especially among people younger than 30, according to a new study released Wednesday.
June 13, 2013 - Everett Herald
- Fabio Capello in The Guardian
Sir Dave Richards has called me to tell me everyone at the FA wants me to continue,said Capello. "I explained it is very important we use the disappointment as a motivation in the future. I can assure the fans I am now fully focused on our...
- President Bush in Xinhua
The Muslim Representative from Minnesota was elected by the voters of that district and if American citizens don't wake up and adopt (my) position on immigration there will likely be many more Muslims elected to office and demanding the use of the... Virgil Goode http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgil_Goode&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNGHUAqP4Vmqr0UEdJUT7aA3xpZkOg Washington Post http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/21/AR2006122101334.html&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNHJYMx1M2O4C8MGfoGm0-mHFZGeSw Dec 21, 2006
106726 139930 use We expect they will use it to boost consumer spending and that will spur job creation as well," Bush said in Friday's statement.