- n an abnormal protuberance or localized enlargement
- n something that bulges out or is protuberant or projects from its surroundings
- n the increase in volume of certain substances when they are heated (often accompanied by release of water)
- v increase in size, magnitude, number, or intensity
- v become filled with pride, arrogance, or anger
The mother was swelling with importance when she spoke of her son
- v expand abnormally
The bellies of the starving children are swelling
- v come up (as of feelings and thoughts, or other ephemeral things)
- v come up, as of a liquid
- v cause to become swollen
- In anticipation of this flood of cash, the little desert town, main-line rail base for the construction camps, has been swelling and swelling like a toadstool.
- The condition commonly affects patients whose lymph nodes were removed during surgery, causing often debilitating swelling in the hands and arms because of lymph fluid buildup.
- The good news is that the swelling is often so minor that it isn't even noticeable, even to the men that have it.
News & Articles
- Biggest protests in 20 years sweep Brazil
By Todd Benson and Asher Levine SAO PAULO (Reuters) - As many as 200,000 demonstrators marched through the streets of Brazil's biggest cities on Monday in a swelling wave of protest tapping into widespread anger at poor public services, police violence and government corruption. The marches, organized mostly through snowballing social media campaigns, blocked streets and halted traffic in more ...
June 18, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Reds' Broxton has swelling in right elbow
Reds reliever Jonathan Broxton has swelling in his right elbow, leaving his status uncertain for a weekend series against the Milwaukee Brewers.
June 15, 2013 - ESPN
- Reds reliever Broxton has swelling in elbow
CINCINNATI (AP) -- Reds reliever Jonathan Broxton has swelling in his right elbow, leaving his status uncertain for a weekend series against the Milwaukee Brewers.
June 15, 2013 - The Associated Press via Yahoo! Sports
- David Beckham in International Herald Tribune
I'm still having a lot of treatment. At the moment it doesn't look good that I'm going to play because the swelling is still there,Beckham said during an interview during the ESPN2 telecast.
- Phil Jackson in The Associated Press
He just said, 'You've got to take me out. I can't run,'Jackson said. "He had some swelling in the back of his leg, and we'll have to work on that."
- Jake Peavy in ESPN
It's something up under my arm and it goes down into my lat,Peavy said. "That's where I have some swelling and discomfort. That's where I felt it happen tonight."