- n the undulating movement of the surface of the open sea
- n a rounded elevation (especially one on an ocean floor)
- n a crescendo followed by a decrescendo
- n a man who is much concerned with his dress and appearance
- v increase in size, magnitude, number, or intensity
The music swelled to a crescendo
- v become filled with pride, arrogance, or anger
The mother was swelling with importance when she spoke of her son
- v expand abnormally
The bellies of the starving children are swelling
- v come up (as of feelings and thoughts, or other ephemeral things)
Smoke swelled from it
- v come up, as of a liquid
- v cause to become swollen
The water swells the wood
- s very good
- What a swell party this is.
- While both his decision-making role and public presence have recently begun to swell, Fiat chairman Luca di Montezemolo and ceo Sergio Marchionne are still largely in charge.
- Though Berry Wall was born in Manhattan (1861), where he was a society swell in the '80s and '90s, he spent most of his later life in France.
News & Articles
- West Goshen moves to curb student housing
WEST GOSHEN - After watching student housing swell in parts of West Chester, supervisors in West Goshen took action Wednesday to curb future development of student homes in the township. The five-member board unanimously passed amendments to the township's zoning ordinance at its monthly meeting Wednesday evening, easing concerns of residents, who applauded the supervisors' action. "I want to ...
June 15, 2013 - The Reporter
- Winds in the inner waters stay down til late Sunday
Saturday: NW winds 5 to 10 kt...becoming W 10 kt in the afternoon. Wind waves 2 ft or less. NW swell 5 to 6 ft at 8 seconds. Patchy fog in the morning.
June 14, 2013 - KSBY San Luis Obispo
- Swell Time at the Wedge
Southerly swells brought high waves and plenty of action to the Wedge in Newport Beach from Thursday, June 6 through Saturday, June 8. Mike Ure, Newport Beach lifeguard, reported that there were 38 rescues on June 7 with five people requiring medical...
June 11, 2013 - Coast Magazine
- Ty Lawson in San Jose Mercury News
My toe is feeling good,Lawson said Saturday. "It didn't really swell up last night. It's not much pain in it. It's getting better."
- Carl Crawford in ESPN
I don't think it's bad,Crawford said. "It didn't even really swell up. It's just sore."