- n the work of making something smooth and shiny by rubbing or waxing it
the shining of shoes provided a meager living
- v be bright by reflecting or casting light
- v emit light; be bright, as of the sun or a light
- v be shiny, as if wet
- v be distinguished or eminent
- v be clear and obvious
A shining example
- v have a complexion with a strong bright color, such as red or pink
- v throw or flash the light of (a lamp)
- v touch or seem as if touching visually or audibly
- v experience a feeling of well-being or happiness, as from good health or an intense emotion
- v make (a surface) shine
- v climb awkwardly, as if by scrambling
- s marked by exceptional merit
had shining virtues and few faults
a shining example
- s made smooth and bright by or as if by rubbing; reflecting a sheen or glow
rows of shining glasses
- s reflecting light
shining white enamel
- But they're not the cartoonish images of clouds parting and shining light upon Obama that might be expected in an ad spoofing him as a messiah.
- To keep them from spreading their shining DNA, the distributor, Taikong International, sterilizes them all.
- Many of this year's choices are shining examples of Web 2.
News & Articles
- Event celebrates Leesport's heritage
The sun was shining in Leesport for the Lock House Strawberry Social and Heritage Festival. About 150 people came out for the Saturday event, which included a strawberry social, ice cream and the Leesport Area Historical Society's Magical History Bus Tour of east Leesport.
June 16, 2013 - Reading Eagle
- Reader Advisory: 'Shining Girls' Is Gruesome But Gripping
Lauren Beukes' new thriller The Shining Girls traces a time-traveling serial killer as he jumps through the decades, pursued by the only one of his victims to survive. Critic Alan Cheuse calls the book "a frightening journey in time and punishment."
June 13, 2013 - NPR
- 'Shining City' shines on Broadway
Running time: 90 minutes, with no intermission. Tickets: $26 to $80. Theater: Biltmore, 261 W. 47th St. Calls: 212-239-6200. Everything is right about "Shining City," Conor McPherson's fantastic new play that opened last night at the Manhattan Theatre Club's Broadway venue, the Biltmore Theatre.
June 13, 2013 - The Journal News
- Barack Obama in Newsweek
We will achieve our goal of making this administration the most open and transparent administration in history not only by opening the doors of the White House to more Americans but by shining a light on the business conducted inside,Obama...
- Nouri al-Maliki in The Associated Press
Our consolation is that he left behind for us a shining legacy that will lead the way for us,al-Maliki said.
- Gordon Brown in stv.tv
Attacking his opponents Mr Brown said: "Let's hear no more from the Conservatives - we did fix the roof while the sun was shining."