- n a signal transmitted along a narrow path; guides airplane pilots in darkness or bad weather
- n long thick piece of wood or metal or concrete, etc., used in construction
- n a group of nearly parallel lines of electromagnetic radiation
- n a column of light (as from a beacon)
- n (nautical) breadth amidships
- n the broad side of a ship
they sighted land on the port beam
- n a gymnastic apparatus used by women gymnasts
- v smile radiantly; express joy through one's facial expression
- v emit light; be bright, as of the sun or a light
The fire beamed on their faces
- v express with a beaming face or smile
he beamed his approval
- v broadcast over the airwaves, as in radio or television
- v have a complexion with a strong bright color, such as red or pink
- v experience a feeling of well-being or happiness, as from good health or an intense emotion
She was beaming with joy
- The light beam is split.
- In laboratory practice, a light beam's "fence" is a crystal, and the gaps which comb light are a crystal's parallel planes of cleavage.
- After winning the gold in the balance beam finals on the last day of gymnastics competition Tuesday, you can now call yourself the beam queen.
News & Articles
- Improving economy sends rents soaring in Greenwich, Westport
Beam & Barre , a dance studio and supply shop, is at its fourth location on Greenwich Avenue in Greenwich since its founding more than three decades ago, and manager Joanne Tully doesn't want to make any more moves as retail rental rates on the trendy shopping area continue to approach pre-recession prices.
June 16, 2013 - The Norwalk Citizen
- Beam Inc. UK Regulatory Announcement: Beam Announces Early Settlement of Debt Tender Offers
DEERFIELD, Ill.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Beam Inc. (NYSE: BEAM) today announced that it has completed the early settlement of its previously announced cash tender offers to purchase any and all of its 6.375% Notes due 2014 (the “2014 Notes”) and up to a maximum aggregate principal amount of $175 million (the “2021-2036 Maximum Amount”) of the following notes (collectively, the “2021-2036 Notes” and ...
June 11, 2013 - Business Wire
- Beam Announces Early Settlement of Debt Tender Offers
Beam Inc. today announced that it has completed the early settlement of its previously announced cash tender offers to purchase any and all of its 6.375% Notes due 201
June 10, 2013 - Business Wire via Yahoo! Finance
- Nastia Liukin in ESPN
It just shows how strong we are,said Liukin, who won five medals. "We went out there and showed we are the best. Going 1-2 in the all-around, that's never been done by the United States. The Americans have never had 1-2 on beam before,...
- Phil Jackson in Boston Globe
Sometimes a guy hasn't played in a while and you'll look in there and it may be kind of vacant in there, a wake-up type of thing,Jackson said. "But I do check every game or so to see if these guys are still on beam. DJ has lost a little...
- Wen Jiabao in Xinhua
Where there is a beam of hope, we will spare no efforts to save the trapped,said Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao in his work tour at the earthquake-hit regions.