- n a mixture of gases (especially oxygen) required for breathing; the stuff that the wind consists of
a smell of chemicals in the air
open a window and let in some air
I need some fresh air
- n the region above the ground
her hand stopped in mid air
he threw the ball into the air
- n a distinctive but intangible quality surrounding a person or thing
an air of mystery
the house had a neglected air
- n a slight wind (usually refreshing)
as he waited he could feel the air on his neck
- n the mass of air surrounding the Earth
it was exposed to the air
- n once thought to be one of four elements composing the universe (Empedocles)
- n a succession of notes forming a distinctive sequence
she was humming an air from Beethoven
- n medium for radio and television broadcasting
the program was on the air from 9 til midnight
the president used the airwaves to take his message to the people
- n travel via aircraft
air travel involves too much waiting in airports
if you've time to spare go by air
- v expose to fresh air
- v be broadcast
This show will air Saturdays at 2 P.M.
- v broadcast over the airwaves, as in radio or television
We cannot air this X-rated song
- v make public
She aired her opinions on welfare
- v expose to warm or heated air, so as to dry
- v expose to cool or cold air so as to cool or freshen
air the old winter clothes
air out the smoke-filled rooms
- Two widely separate incidents of last week may be forerunners of a new mode of air transportation.
- While Seoul cleans up, air pollution in Hong Kong only worsens.
- An epidemic of skyjackingsIt seems a throwback to the air piracy of the late 1960s, when skyjackings steered dozens of planes to Cuba.
News & Articles
- Air Force announces basic research awards
( Air Force Office of Scientific Research ) The Multidisciplinary University Research Initiative Program supports research by teams of investigators that intersect several traditional science and engineering disciplines in order to accelerate research progress. Most of the program's efforts involve researchers from multiple academic institutions and academic departments. Based on the proposals ...
June 13, 2013 - EurekAlert!
- Air Mauritius sees return to profit in 2013/14 financial year
By Jean Paul Arouff PORT LOUIS (Reuters) - Air Mauritius on Thursday reported a full-year pretax loss of 2.3 million euros, hit by high fuel prices and the global downturn but said it would return to profitability next year. The Indian Ocean island national airline had posted a loss of 29.2 million euros in 2012. "The results showed clearly that we are on the right track with our 7-step plan ...
June 13, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Air T And AO Partners To Settle Pending Election Contest - Quick Facts
Air T And AO Partners To Settle Pending Election Contest - Quick Facts
June 13, 2013 - Nasdaq
- Bertrand Piccard in TopNews New Zealand
Talking about the duration of the flight, the project's co-founder Bertrand Piccard said pilot Andre Borschberg "will stay up there as long as possible. Hopefully he will still be in the air at sunrise tomorrow. That is the challenge."
- Tony Kornheiser in New York Daily News
My fear of planes is legendary and sadly true,Kornheiser said. "When I looked at the upcoming schedule it was the perfect storm that would've frequently moved me from bus to air. I kept looking at the schedule the past month and wanted to...
- President Bush in Reuters.uk
We are not the first to come here with government divided and uncertainty in the air,Bush said. "Like many before us, we can work through our differences, and achieve big things for the American people."