- v make less visible or unclear
The stars are obscured by the clouds
the big elm tree obscures our view of the valley
- v make unclear, indistinct, or blurred
- v make obscure or unclear
The distinction was obscured
- v reduce a vowel to a neutral one, such as a schwa
- v make undecipherable or imperceptible by obscuring or concealing
- s not clearly understood or expressed
an obscure turn of phrase
an impulse to go off and fight certain obscure battles of his own spirit"-Anatole Broyard
- s marked by difficulty of style or expression
those who do not appreciate Kafka's work say his style is obscure
- s difficult to find
an obscure retreat
- s not famous or acclaimed
an obscure family
- s not drawing attention
an obscure flaw
- s remote and separate physically or socially
an obscure village
- The fog of war obscures most things except your duty to your country and to your men.
- Champagne corks will pop, phones will ring wildly, and once obscure academics will suddenly find themselves the object of a two-day media frenzy.
- Greenspan is on guard, a renowned numbers cruncher who keeps tabs on the most obscure corners of the economy.
News & Articles
- University Mound, true diversity symbol
University Mound, true diversity symbol [...] that is exactly what stands shrouded by cypress trees on obscure University Mound, the ranch-house home of the Convent of the Good Shepherd. "When I came here three years ago, I was struck by how cosmopolitan the city is," said Sister Barbara Beasley, community leader for the seven sisters who share meals and prayers under a dark pitched roof. The ...
June 12, 2013 - San Francisco Chronicle
- Kids face uphill battle in staying healthy
CADILLAC — Soda, chocolate, vegetable juice, even sunflower seeds and chewing gum — caffeine seems to be in everything nowadays, from the obvious to the obscure, and with no federal requirements for manufacturers to list if the stimulant is in their products, sometimes its hard to tell what you are really consuming.
June 12, 2013 - Cadillac News
- By John Seal
From the obscure to the obscurest to the merely overlooked or underappreciated; they all have a home in the TiVoPlex! All times Pacific. 10:00 AM Turner Classic Movies They Drive By Night (1940 USA): Here’s one of those times when I’m positive I must have written about a film at some point over the past decade, but the record doesn’t support my belief.
June 11, 2013 - Box Office Prophets
- Tony Hayward in MarketWatch
Hayward said the oil-price moves "should not obscure very real operational improvements in refining and rigorous cost control across the company that kept our cash costs essentially flat compared with last year - despite immense inflationary...
- Barack Obama in MiamiHerald.com
Given the stature of some past winners, and the ordeals faced by humanitarian leaders who've never won, Obama said that "I cannot argue with those who find these men and women, some known, some obscure to all but those they help, to be far more...
- John McCain in CNN
In all due respect, one of the people I admired most was an obscure governor of a southern state called Arkansas and he turned out to be a fairly successful president,McCain said. "I mean, Ronald Reagan was a cowboy, no experience in...