- n a chronic emphysema of the horse that causes difficult expiration and heaving of the flanks
- n an upward movement (especially a rhythmical rising and falling)
- n (geology) a horizontal dislocation
- n the act of lifting something with great effort
- n an involuntary spasm of ineffectual vomiting
a bad case of the heaves
- n the act of raising something
- n throwing something heavy (with great effort)
- v utter a sound, as with obvious effort
- v throw with great effort
- v rise and move, as in waves or billows
- v lift or elevate
- v move or cause to move in a specified way, direction, or position
- v breathe noisily, as when one is exhausted
- v bend out of shape, as under pressure or from heat
- v make an unsuccessful effort to vomit; strain to vomit
- After extensive renovations, its lofty interiors are now a mood-lit bolt-hole that heaves with tout le monde.
- Cinematographer Chris Doyle heaves a sympathetic sigh, which you can see because it's so cold, swigs spirit from his hip flask and puts the moment in perspective: "You know, if .
- The scream is one of the indigenous sounds of city life, like an automobile alarm that whoops and heaves, then stops, leaving the question hanging like a hawk as to whether a car .
News & Articles
- Section of I95 Northbound to be Closed for Repairs
I-95 northbound from Island Falls to Oakfield will be closed beginning next week. The Maine Department of Transportation is rebuilding a section of the road to minimize frost heaves. The project begins at Exit 276 and extends to Exit 286. Drivers will be detoured to Route 2, but MDOT off . . .
June 12, 2013 - WABI Bangor
- Richard Bruton in Irish Independent
There will be no more heaves. The parliamentary party has made its decision. We're a very democratic party. We had a very good debate and there will be issues that will come up out of the debate that will strengthen the party,Mr Bruton said....
- Todd Helton in MLB.com
He should have won about half of [his starts],Helton said "He's pitched well all year and put us in ballgames all year and we just haven't scored him any runs. He's so much fun to play behind, he just gets the ball and heaves it and works...
- Tom Izzo in Indianapolis Star
Not to be insulting, but a couple of those shots, I can't give him credit for,said Michigan State coach Tom Izzo, who otherwise was highly complimentary of Teague's play. "They were just heaves and they went in."