- n a short light gust of air
- n a light inflated pastry or puff shell
- n exaggerated praise (as for promotional purposes)
- n bedding made of two layers of cloth filled with stuffing and stitched together
- n a soft spherical object made from fluffy fibers; for applying powder to the skin
- n thick cushion used as a seat
- n a slow inhalation (as of tobacco smoke)
he took a puff on his pipe
- n forceful exhalation through the nose or mouth
he blew out all the candles with a single puff
- v smoke and exhale strongly
puff a cigar
- v suck in or take (air)
- v breathe noisily, as when one is exhausted
- v make proud or conceited
The sudden fame puffed her ego
- v praise extravagantly
The critics puffed up this Broadway production
- v speak in a blustering or scornful manner
A puffing kind of man
- v to swell or cause to enlarge, "Her faced puffed up from the drugs"
puffed out chests
- v blow hard and loudly
he huffed and puffed as he made his way up the mountain
- s gathered for protruding fullness
- The Russians filled their lungs for a mighty huff puff at next month's San Francisco Conference.
- Eighteen assorted British bigwigs, men like Montagu Norman, John Masefield, Lord Derby last week sent a cream-puff plea to Adolf Hitler to keep the peace of Europe, just as .
- The rubber cap is fitted snugly over the face and two holes are cut in it; one for the powder-puff cover (to look through), one for the tin-can respirator.
- Kevin Rudd in The Age
Peter's decision-making timeframe doesn't have a lot to do with what's going on here,Mr Rudd told reporters in Canberra. "I presume in the case of Peter's calculations, he just ran out of puff. He's been a terrific premier who's made a...
- Dean Barker in San Diego Union Tribune
Every time we thought we'd gotten rid of them, another little puff came through (for them),Barker said.
- Murdo MacLeod in The Sun
MacLeod said: "It's time we gave the Conservatives a kick at the ball. Labour have had their chance over the last 13 years and they've run out of puff and have no new ideas. The best thing we can do is to vote for the Conservatives to give Britain a...