ottoman : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a Turk (especially a Turk who is a member of the tribe of Osman I)
- n the Turkish dynasty that ruled the Ottoman Empire from the 13th century to its dissolution after World War I
- n thick cushion used as a seat
- n a low seat or a stool to rest the feet of a seated person
- a of or relating to the Ottoman Empire or its people or its culture
News & Articles
- Turkey's past and future collide
In 2012, Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdo?an defended the highly divisive renovation of Taksim Square in central Istanbul by invoking history. Referring to the plan to build a replica of a monumental 19th century Ottoman army barracks that once stood there, he said: "We are working to bring back history that has been destroyed. ...We will unite Taksim with its history."
June 12, 2013 - CNN
- Insight: Turkish troubles highlight cultural divide
By Ralph Boulton ISTANBUL (Reuters) - Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan stands before a sea of cheering faithful waving Turkish flags and, to shouts of "Allahu Akbar", God is Greatest, summons the spirit of pious Ottoman poets in denouncing protesters who challenge his power. Across Istanbul, the same flags, white crescent moon and star on a red background, are raised; but they proclaim what some ...
June 10, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- President Bush in New York Times
With all these pressing responsibilities,Mr. Bush said, "one thing Congress should not be doing is sorting out the historical record of the Ottoman Empire."
- Scott Stanzel in Forbes
While the House is debating the Ottoman Empire, they are not moving forward with appropriations bills,said Stanzel. "The House has not appointed conferees, they aren't coming to the table to discuss children's health care, and they haven't...