- n a sudden forceful flow
- n a sudden or abrupt strong increase
stimulated a surge of speculation
an upsurge of emotion
an upsurge in violent crime
- n a large sea wave
- v rise and move, as in waves or billows
The army surged forward
- v rise rapidly
- v rise or move forward
- v rise or heave upward under the influence of a natural force such as a wave
the boats surged
- v see one's performance improve
He levelled the score and then surged ahead
- As Petraeus and Crocker make their progress reports on Iraq, Michael Duffy says the surge will continue in part because no one can agree on what would replace it.
- The surge was designed to carve out a quiet space in which compromise rather than violence would rule.
- Happily, the "surge" operation succeeded beyond our wildest dreams.
News & Articles
- Power surge causes damage in Chester Heights
The impact of an electrical power surge that ripped down Smithbridge and Llewelyn roads is being felt by many Chester Heights residents, including the borough office and the fire company, in the wake of the May 31 event.
June 19, 2013 - Garnet Valley Press
- Gerard: Oil production surge helped generate jobs
The surge in domestic oil production in the past few years helped keep fuel prices at bay and generate jobs, said Jack Gerard - More - White Paper: Automating multiple wellhead operations This paper covers how a single Totalflow RTU, using pre-engineered software, can automate and control intermit and plunger lift systems. Shared equipment can include the separator, oil storage tanks, gas ...
June 19, 2013 - American Petroleum Institute
- Power surge fee doesn't cover all
For years, a consumer says she paid $10 a month for surge protection. Protection, she thought, for electronics and appliances in the event of a power surge. Turns out, it did not come close to covering her losses.
June 18, 2013 - ABC Action News Tampa Bay
- President Bush in Reuters South Africa
The surge has done more than turn the situation in Iraq around -- it has opened the door to a major strategic victory in the broader war on terror,Bush said, hailing increased cooperation of Iraqi Sunnis in fighting al Qaeda.
- John McCain in FOXNews
McCain said his rival "was wrong about Iraq and the surge. He was wrong about Russia when they committed aggression against Georgia. And in his short career he does not understand our national security challenges. We don't have time for on the job...