- n a large sea wave
- v rise up as if in waves
smoke billowed up into the sky
- v move with great difficulty
The soldiers billowed across the muddy riverbed
- v rise and move, as in waves or billows
- v become inflated
- White plumes of steam billow from deep under the earth into the blue sky, and moss covers the lava-strewn ground.
- Suddenly, more than an hour after the puzzling signals began to billow forth, the Vatican's Pericle Felici, ranking Cardinal-deacon in the Sacred College, appeared at the .
- Eyewitnesses report a billow of smoke but no fire associated with the explosion - a powerful detonation which shook the ground.
News & Articles
- Hope from the Waldo Canyon Fire
From John Nickle's large picture windows he can watch the smoke billow from the Black Forest fire. “We’re watching them like I’m sure they were watching up this direction from out there last year,” Nickle said. “If you look out when you see the black smoke you know that’s a structure.” Last year, that smoke was coming from Nickle’s home. His was one of the 346 homes destroyed by the Waldo ...
June 14, 2013 - KRDO Colorado Springs
- Smoke from Hathaway fire affects neighboring communities
The Hathaway Fire near Banning has grown to 3,326 acres with 40 percent containment. While the fire is in a remote area, smoke continues to billow out of the San Gorgonio wilderness and into neighboring communities. Several helicopters perform water drops to try and get a handle on the blaze. More than 1,400 firefighters are battling the flames.
June 14, 2013 - KESQ Palm Springs
- Blood, Tear Gas, and Hipsters: On the Front Lines With Turkey’s ‘Occupy’ Kids
When all hell finally breaks loose in Gezi Park in the early hours of Tuesday morning, after days living in a dreamlike tranquility in their Zuccotti-style camp, the young, hip protestors spilling out of their tents into the darkness are still half-asleep. Clouds of tear gas billow all around.
June 12, 2013 - New York Magazine
- Raden Ajeng Kartini in USA Today
There was a billow of smoke and then a massive bang and my ears were deafened,said Kartini, a 32-year-old Christian woman who was hospitalized with shrapnel wounds to her chest and feet.
- Cristiano Ronaldo in Fifa.com
It was incredible, a fantastic goal,said Ronaldo to FIFA.com afterwards. "If you asked me how to score a goal like that I wouldn't be able to tell you. It's just hitting it hard and seeing the net billow, that's all."
- Mark Twain in New York Times
Mark Twain wrote rapturously of his first encounter with surfing, watching a native Hawaiian "face the shore and wait for a particularly prodigious billow to come along; at the right moment he would fling his board upon its foamy crest and himself...