flip : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n an acrobatic feat in which the feet roll over the head (either forward or backward) and return
- n hot or cold alcoholic mixed drink containing a beaten egg
- n a sudden, quick movement
with a flip of the wrist
the fish flipped over
- n the act of flipping a coin
- n a dive in which the diver somersaults before entering the water
- n (sports) the act of throwing the ball to another member of your team
- v lightly throw to see which side comes up
I don't know what to do--I may as well flip a coin!
- v cause to go on or to be engaged or set in operation
- v look through a book or other written material
- v toss with a sharp movement so as to cause to turn over in the air
- v cause to move with a flick
- v throw or toss with a light motion
flip me the beachball
- v move with a flick or light motion
- v turn upside down, or throw so as to reverse
flip over the pork chop
- v react in an excited, delighted, or surprised way
he flipped when he heard that he was accepted into Princeton University
- v go mad, go crazy
He flipped when he heard that he was being laid off
- v reverse (a direction, attitude, or course of action)
- s marked by casual disrespect
a flip answer to serious question
- It's hard to remember now, but there was once a time when "flip-flop" was not the scarlet letter of presidential politics.
- There is a difference between flip-flopping and admitting a mistake.
- Whether Obama's new centrist sheen is the result of flip-flopping or reemphasizing moderate positions, the Supreme Court decisions have focused attention again on the role of the .
News & Articles
- National Flip Flop Day Means Free Smoothies
Today is national flip flop day. To celebrate-- 'Tropical Smoothies' stories throughout the country passed out free smoothies.
June 21, 2013 - WCTV Tallahassee
- Flip flop freebie to celebrate summer
Tropical Smoothie Cafe brings attention to Camp Sunshine by asking you to break out your flip flops and coming by the cafe Friday. If you do, then you'll get a delicious freebie.
June 21, 2013 - WVLT-TV Knoxville
- Flip-Pal mobile scanner
The Flip-Pal mobile scanner lets you remove its flatbed cover, flip the scanner over, and scan whatever is under it.
June 19, 2013 - PC Magazine
- Scott Skiles in The Associated Press
Now the thing that's going to happen is, the script is going to flip and we're going to be expected to do something, as opposed to being picked last or second-to-last in the East,Skiles said. "And that's good. That's what we want."
- Marcus Sachs in Peoria Journal Star
It's like the old cockroach thing - you flip the lights on in the kitchen and they run away,said Marcus Sachs, a former White House cybersecurity official who now runs the security research group SANS Internet Storm Center.
- David Beckham in USA Today
I found out this morning when they gave me a call,Beckham said. "It was crazy. I was about to do a back flip in my room."