- n someone who takes the place of another person
- v go back and forth; swing back and forth between two states or conditions
- v exchange people temporarily to fulfill certain jobs and functions
- v be an understudy or alternate for a role
- v reverse (a direction, attitude, or course of action)
- v do something in turns
- s every second one of a series
the cleaning lady comes on alternate Wednesdays
- s serving or used in place of another
- s occurring by turns; first one and then the other
- a of leaves and branches etc; first on one side and then on the other in two ranks along an axis; not paired
stems with alternate leaves
- The first credible suggestion that alternate universes might exist came in the early 1950s when a young physics graduate student named Hugh Everett was toying with some of the more .
News & Articles
- Ex-BioWare writer reveals alternate endings to Mass Effect trilogy
Potential Spoiler Warning Mass Effect fans! Toronto's AM640 did a radio interview recently with former BioWare scribe Drew Karpyshyn, in which he chatted about some of the alternate story theories and endings that BioWare tossed around for the Mass Effect series. Eurogamer has the highlights , including the theory that the Reapers were trying to stop organic life because they were somehow making ...
June 20, 2013 - Joystiq
- Lessons from an in-progress alternate reality game
Most ARGs are marketing exercises -- but can you build one players will pay for? How do you design an alternate reality game, anyway? This post dives deep into an in-progress project. ...
June 20, 2013 - Gamasutra
- Paving begins on alternate route to US 89 in Arizona
Paving has begun on an alternate route to a buckled highway in northern Arizona. That will help motorists affected by the U.S. 89 landslide closure south of Page. A 150-foot section of pavement on the
June 18, 2013 - CBS 5 Phoenix
- John McCain in Newsweek
The point is, oil companies have got to be more participatory in alternate energy, in sharing their profits in a variety of ways, and there is very strong and justifiable emotion about their profits,McCain said.
- Mitt Romney in Forbes
On Friday, Romney said Giuliani's positions on various topics "are so reminiscent of Hillary Clinton's past and her current positions, they would make it more difficult to establish the kind of distinct alternate that's needed to win an election as...
- Brett Quigley in USA Today
It was the alternate who didn't want to come,Quigley said. "Maybe it was too far away or they had US Open qualifying. But how can you skip coming here?"