- n someone who pursues a study or sport as a pastime
- n an athlete who does not play for pay
- s engaged in as a pastime
an amateur painter
gained valuable experience in amateur theatricals
- s lacking professional skill or expertise
a very amateurish job
- Posted on the Scoreboard at Flossmoor (Chicago) were the scores of 32 qualifiers in the national amateur golf championship.
- According to the trend of golf rulings, an amateur player ceases to be an amateur when he accepts a position which is connected, even indirectly, with his skill or fame as a .
- From a crude shelter in the middle of a cornfield near Delphos, Ohio, one evening last fortnight a 36-year-old amateur astronomer scrutinized the northern sky through his 6-in .
News & Articles
- Amateur boxers get their night to shine at Turner Hall
Other than qualifiers for national tournaments, amateur boxers have few chances to compete in Milwaukee.
June 13, 2013 - NBC26 Green Bay
- State Games amateur golf heats up in Day 1
In the blistering heat, 57 amateur golfers took to the greens at Northwood Country Club in Day 1 action of the State Games of Mississippi junior golf tournament.
June 13, 2013 - The Meridian Star
- Amateur science project goes boom, sends man to hospital
KENDALL, Wash. — A haywire backyard science project exploded Wednesday, sending one Whatcom County man to Harborview Medical Center. According to the Bellingham Herald, a 44-year-old man was conducting an amateur science project in a two-story shed just after midnight …
June 13, 2013 - Q13 FOX Seattle
- Alex Rodriguez in Tampa Tribune
I didn't think they were steroids,Rodriguez said. "That was a part of being young and stupid. It was over the counter and being basic. It was really amateur hour : we probably didn't even take it right."
- Floyd Landis in USA Today
In this case, and in order to avoid any misunderstanding, I agree to voluntarily not participate in any professional or amateur cycling event in France until December 31, 2007, and in particular the Tour de France 2007,Landis said in the letter.
- President Bush in Washington Post
That's why I'm an amateur and they're Olympians,Bush added.