- n the act of making something slightly wet
- v smother or suppress
- v make moist
- v deaden (a sound or noise), especially by wrapping
- v reduce the amplitude (of oscillations or waves)
- v make vague or obscure or make (an image) less visible
- v check; keep in check (a fire)
- v lessen in force or effect
- Most NDEs change those who have them, dampening or obliterating any fear of death.
- A standoff ensued, dampening the slowly warming relations between the two countries and putting cooperation on a number of issues on hold.
- In the continued-bad-news category went fresh data on initial unemployment claims they rose more than expected, dampening excitement about the mild moderation of the week .
News & Articles
- Weather limits use of water park, golf courses
COLUMBUS -- This spring’s cool, wet weather is dampening attendance at Pawnee Plunge Water Park and keeping players off the city-run golf courses.
June 10, 2013 - Columbus Telegram
- Indian Shares Rise On Global Cues
Indian shares rose on Monday, tracking firm global cues after the U.S. jobs report showed the economy is growing modestly but probably not enough to warrant a cut in the Fed's bond-buying program. The Indian rupee hit a record low of 57.50 against the dollar in early trading, dampening investor sentiment to some extent.
June 10, 2013 - RTT News
- Happy National Doughnut Day! Here's Where To Get Free Doughnuts
With a soggy Friday dampening spirits, at least we have a fake food holiday to distract us from our weather misery. To celebrate National Doughnut Day, many of our fine doughnut purveyors—and chain restaurants—are offering gratis grub in the form of fried dough if you stop by their bakeries. While you likely won't get a free Cronut out of the deal, you can still stuff your face with sugar-soaked ...
June 7, 2013 - Gothamist
- Glenn Stevens in Sydney Morning Herald
For some months, the Board has recognised that stronger economic conditions were likely to put upward pressure on inflation, notwithstanding some dampening influence from the higher exchange rate,said RBA governor Glenn Stevens in a prepared...